Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Great Job @BigAl, thanks for the tip on the mute (reaching for my foam now).
Sounds good, I think the bass is mixed quite well, sits very nice.

@PamPurrs - isn’t that a short scale MM you are looking for that @BigAl is playing?

5 Likes

@RuknRole…I like this song a lot more sped up!
Great tone and well done.
What bass are you using, etc?
Good for you adding fills, etc, nice touch.

I agree it felt like it sped up a little past half way.

5 Likes

Dunno (shrugs)

2 Likes

Really nice, I liked your modifications, definitely improved the song :+1:

6 Likes

Good job @BigAl and @RuknRole!

4 Likes

Here is my contribution. I recorded this long before the 50S/100W challenge was announced so I didn’t follow the score in our lessons extras webpage. I played the bass line an octave lower and added a fill during the non-vocal verses. Also, it’s all slides for the video because it was the fourth video I did during a two week lock down in Japan, and I got tired of looking at myself on the computer. I changed the title card at the end to reflect the 50S/100W Challenge.
I hope you all enjoy it.

17 Likes

Thanks @John_E!

I’m using a Fender Professional II P Bass with Ernie Ball Slinky strings. Tone knob is about 3/4 closed. Going straight into a Focusrite Scarlet Solo interface into Reaper. Applied the included VST EQ plugin, and just picked one of the default presets from the list that I thought sounded good.

3 Likes

Very nice @JerryP. Excellent slide show as well :+1:

4 Likes

Great job @JerryP! Nice video montage too!

4 Likes

nice @RuknRole

4 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs and @RuknRole!

4 Likes

Thanks​:+1::beers:

4 Likes

Thanks, Jerry :+1::beers:

3 Likes

All excellent versions @BigAl @RuknRole and @JerryP. Great job.

And man, you guys are quick - I haven’t even tried this song yet, let alone gotten it up to recording quality. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@RuknRole - Awesome job! Love the creative modifications.

@JerryP - Really well done as well. Though it seemed like it was in slow motion since I listened to it straight after Ruknrole’s. :upside_down_face:

@skydvr - Don’t worry. I haven’t played this song yet either. Likely sticking to the original version and nothing fancy. I play the blues a lot when improvising though so looking forward to this one.

5 Likes

Thanks @JT & @skydvr!

2 Likes

Great job @JerryP
I actually watched this the other day on your channel (along with several others).
You make a lot of great covers!
Inspiring me to make some off the list of 50S100C, just need the time set aside, hoping soon.

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E , @Reo, @JerryP , @PamPurrs , @BigAl , @skydvr, and @JT for the kind words.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E! I didn’t know anyone was watching the old videos. Thanks for that!

3 Likes

I went to watch Michelle that you posted, then went down the @JerryP rabbit hole one night.

:grinning:

4 Likes