Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Nice. I wonder if my tuners can do that as well as I’ve noticed they have a hz setting that seems like it can be adjusted.

KLIQ UberTuner and KLIQ MetroPitch - Metronome Tuner. I’ll have to play with them. I see they default to 440hz.

5 Likes

Another cover for the day. Did not feel like spending too much time on this either. Kinda rushed at the beginning, and paraphrasing John_E up the thread - the simpler the song, the harder it is to do it well. But I’m satisfied enough to publish this now and move on.

9 Likes

Nice work again @kowry
great timing and tone again!
My new bass instructor says to see through the mistakes (a mis-fret / mis-note) and focus on the technique.
Killer head bobs, looked about as bored as I was :rofl:

5 Likes

Great job @kowry ! Well done!
:+1:

3 Likes

Nice job @kowry ,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hey everyone,
It’s been a while and I see I’m not the only one catching up on some homework. :wink:
I’m glad to see that the challenge is still going strong and I’ve really enjoyed watching you all progress. So without further ado (and no apologies for the occasional screeching sound), here is my take on Folsom Prison Blues, which actually quite grew on me. Enjoy!

17 Likes

Nice. Good job. Great tone. :+1:

5 Likes

Excellent job @Regina!!! Great timing and lovely tone for that song. I’m impressed!

4 Likes

Great job @Regina ! Good timing and tone!
:+1:

4 Likes

Nice to see you @Regina
Great job on this, you obviously enjoyed it!
You looked so relaxed, which at least to me is hard to do, you made it look effortless!

5 Likes

Nice job @Regina ,
Looking very relaxed and nice tone,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great to see you back Regina and great playing. See, you do have rhythm. :wink:

4 Likes

@Regina has great rhythm. I vaguely recall her saying early on that she doesn’t, but she has proven that declaration to be incorrect with her magnificent playing.

4 Likes

I think I’m blushing a little now. :blush: And you were always right, it comes with practice. And with practice comes confidence and confidence makes everything better.

5 Likes

Great work @kowry @Regina - you really got that old timey bass sound down as well :ok_hand:.

6 Likes

Ok. So am I the only one that thinks the tab is missing notes between some of the chord changes. I don’t know what you call it, but the song definitely has that blues walking up eighth note thing going on between some of the changes. Boom Ba Boom Ba Boom Ba Boom ba-da-da Boom Ba Boom ba Boom Ba boom ba-da-da.

The tab is missing the “ba-da-das”, no???

2 Likes

The tab was written by Josh for the 50 song thing within BassBuzz (so for us beginners he will have simplified some things). I used the Ultimate Guitar tabs website for my cover. That shows the walk up on the chord changes.

2 Likes

I will defer to @JoshFossgreen , but he has said in the past that he didn’t really simplify these transcriptions.

To my ear, the transcription seems pretty accurate to this…

There are other versions out there, like the live one at the prison, which is busier than the provided transcription, but, that’s because it’s a different version…

Just my 2c…

2 Likes

@skydvr you’re right about that version for sure. I learned the song from this version which when I listened to it I could hear him walking up to the change e.g at round the 40 second mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPIucIqJMU&t=38s
I suspect there are numerous different versions.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like