Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Sounds really good @jakub.r.salata, great tone

To my ears sometimes you are just a tiny tiny bit ahead of the beat then come back in.

This is a tricky one as we have realized the tempo speeds up slightly as the song goes on (like a train-a-rollin) and I think it tricked a lot of us into getting slightly ahead at times.

2 Likes

I enjoyed your walkups, gives the line a little more flavor! My only critique would be the bass is just a little too loud in the mix for the song, it kind of overpowers the song IMO but great job!

1 Like

Yeah I noticed there was something going on there but couldn’t put my finger on it. No matter how many times I recorded, I couldn’t get the timing 100% right. This one took me the longest time so far.
I decided to move on for now, however, after hearing @stevesilver925 's take I might have to give it another shot, because he sounds awesome and I think this version is “cleaner”, might be easier to follow, save for the speed difference.
@Ant I tend to boost the bass track volume in those covers to make them more about bass, also my “bass delete” processing of the songs is not perfect and I don’t want the original bassline mixed in.

3 Likes

Thank you @jakub.r.salata, much appreciated!

1 Like

Well, here’s my submission for this song. I honestly cannot say I’m entirely happy with it, but I’m tired of trying to get a better one-shot recording. Some minor timing issues and flubs, but yeah, moving on from this one.

Gear: ESP LTD B-205SM Bass, NUX Mighty Plug 3, Zoom B14 and Reaper for recording. Used Moises.ai to remove bass from the original and combined the audio/video together (seems slightly off to me, but again, don’t feel like spending more time on it).

Settings: Bass EQ (treble off, mid off, lows full, neck pickup only), instrument tuned to 435 Hz with the Zoom tuner. Zoom Effects off. NUX - my usual amp/ir/eq settings with reverb (damp) added (about 30 mix and 30 depth if I recall). Bass is rather high in the overall mix as we’re showcasing our playing, not the original song. :slight_smile:

Anyways, this is the result (played the first part to Josh’s tabs, then added some fills, trying to mimic what I was hearing in the track).

https://youtu.be/kKm-X8ct2Tg

2 Likes

Here’s my submission for Song 4!

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

https://youtu.be/ZmVp-yBIH58

Played on the Flea Jazz Bass. Some specs:
Neck Vol/Tone: Full/Full
Bridge Vol/Tone: Half/Half
Foam mute installed

Ran this into my Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 and I’ll include a pic of the dials/buttons:

…then XLR out to Volt 276 and then to Garageband.

It took a couple takes on this one and the final video doesn’t show much enthusiasm on my part but I was digging it. :sweat_smile:

Original Bass removed with moises.ai.

Thanks for checking it out!

7 Likes

Tone is great, sounding really good (once past the first few notes).
First few notes you were off beat until you locked in.

My trick to make sure I come in properly at the start of a tricky tune - I always bring in the orginal bassline from the tune into my DAW as well, and then zoom into that track a little and make it bigger on the screen, giving me a nice visual of the first peak of the first pluck to get me going. Sometimes if the bass starts on beat one, I will move everything over a bit to give me some more time to catch it as well after hitting record.

Sounded great otherwise!!
This is actually a tricky tune, it speeds up ever so slightly throughout - like a train a comin’.
You did great keeping the groove!

3 Likes

Great tips! I do add a few measures of space that will be trimmed later. Incorporating the original bassline is a great idea. I’ll give it a go.

Thanks.

1 Like

Here is my Folsom Prison Blues. https://youtu.be/Pl0fxtjWS84?si=uHPEgvr0gFVxhyHw

Have a greate weekend:-)

5 Likes

Great cover Johnny!

3 Likes

Very well executed and GREAT tone!
Fit in really well.

3 Likes

Very nicely done Johnny!

2 Likes

Sounding great @Johnnyb! Really captures the feel of the tune.

2 Likes

Gather round everyone, put down your shanks for a moment, pour yourselves an enameled mug of pruno - I present my cover of Folsom Prison Blues :slight_smile:

Ok maybe the production’s a bit rough in places but the song’s basically there :slight_smile: . I would totally recommend using a live version for a cover for the applause at the end.

4 Likes

Very nicely done Ed! Hofner sounds great.

1 Like

Thanks @JerryP ! I’m not sure why but for some reason the mids and highs are much louder than the bass. Maybe I just need to listen on some better speakers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great @Ed

My only comment is it sounds like you are rushing the best a bit, maybe laying back a bit would work better.

2 Likes

1 Like

I hear the train a-comin’, it’s rollin’ round the bend, and I aint seen the dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

8 Likes

Good one @myheadsmt91 !