Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Nice job @JT,
love the tone from pinky :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I’ll record it tomorrow between starting the oven and getting the sourdough in to bake.

It sounds about right at 435Hz, so we’ll see how it goes.

Love the pink @JT!! Good job…

3 Likes

Nice job @JT, love the bass.

I can understand what you are saying. And that is not a knock on the song, or Johnny Cash, it is a great song, but the repetition, I know is great practice, but that is what it feels like, practice (aka homework) more so then playing something with some tempo changes. Just my opinion, and I happen to agree with you.

I also love that picture @Barney , :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated:
@TNKA36 @JerryP @John_E @JT

Kilt will be back for HTH \m/

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be proper without the kilt!! :laughing:

4 Likes

Alright, I didn’t click with this one, I get that is the estructure of a 11? Bar blues but it doesn’t feel like the blues… anyways here’s my piece, to keep the challenge going… a countdown timer would have helped me smooth the start
On to hell next!

7 Likes

Here is my effort. JD Folsom Prison Blues Bass Cover_050321 - YouTube

Tone turned all the way down on the P-Bass with the La Bella Flats and the Bass all the way up on the Ampeg B210.

Still a few flubs (fret buzz namely - guess I should have just tried one finger per fret although I still haven’t perfected my version of the @JoshFossgreen finger roll - but I am sure there were more mistakes).

YT says “partially blocked” so y’all let me know if you cannot get to it. Guess I may have to start a Vimeo account as some of y’all have.

7 Likes

@Reo Great effort, the simpler the song the harder to do well.
The start point is tricky, a miss here but you corrected back in fine.
A bit ahead of the beat, try ‘laying back’ a bit.
It is very easy to get ahead on things so repetitive.
Do you practice with a metronome? I know its a very boring thing to do but very necessary to get good timing. I always run a metronome even if I don’t need it, for exercises, etc. it really helps.

I like this guy here because its loud, simple and is not on your phone that you can be distracted by or need to use for other music fun.

3 Likes

@JDDaniel
If you haven’t named that bass yet I would propose Thumper! That is some amazing low end thump!

Nice job again. Love those LaBella flats!!!

3 Likes

Good work @Reo,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Good work @JDDaniel,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nicely done @Reo!
:+1:

2 Likes

Good job @JDDaniel!
:+1:

2 Likes

I have a metronome, but don’t use it😞
Definitely staying on pace was an issue

3 Likes

I had a metronome and hated using it. I bought a Zoom b1 Four with built in drum machine and I now use it all the time. To change the tempo you just turn a physical dial. I practice the mechanics of a something very slowly and then add 5 bpm at a time until I’m up to full speed. Practicing against a drum track vs a metronome is night and day. Plus the built in effects are really pretty good for less than the price of a single Boss pedal.

7 Likes

One of the best buys in music for starting out. They should just come with basses :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Drum machine is a souped up metronome.
I do see how on bass a drum beat helps with a better groove.
Coming from sax, we don’t really play with a drum machine.
It’s metronome then chord changes (I use the irealPro app) and maybe some simple drums.

1 Like

True, but my wind up metronome just gave me flashbacks of being forced to learn music as a child. The mechical ticking sound merely reminded me of my own mortality (Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way) and the dissapointment in not learning bass 40 years ago :slight_smile: A drum machine sounds like ‘hey I’m playing with a band’. Everyone’s mileage will vary.
metronome

6 Likes

Drum machine is what a metronome should be for bass. So much better IMO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great job on this. It’s a trickier song that it appears to be and can get quite tiring too. A few notes not exactly on the beat, but very minor.

You might want to take some time and see if your hands are positioned how you want them. Everyone is different, but I felt like you fretting hand needed to rotate around a bit more if you can. Just experiment in front of a mirror, but don’t do anything that feels like it might be painful. Similarly, on your plucking hand, your finger looks very straight to me and it should usually follow the natural curve of your hands. You should do what is comfortable to you, but I want to make sure you aren’t forming habits that could cause issues for you down the road. If you need any help on this stuff just shout.

4 Likes