Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

All excellent versions @BigAl @RuknRole and @JerryP. Great job.

And man, you guys are quick - I haven’t even tried this song yet, let alone gotten it up to recording quality. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@RuknRole - Awesome job! Love the creative modifications.

@JerryP - Really well done as well. Though it seemed like it was in slow motion since I listened to it straight after Ruknrole’s. :upside_down_face:

@skydvr - Don’t worry. I haven’t played this song yet either. Likely sticking to the original version and nothing fancy. I play the blues a lot when improvising though so looking forward to this one.

5 Likes

Thanks @JT & @skydvr!

2 Likes

Great job @JerryP
I actually watched this the other day on your channel (along with several others).
You make a lot of great covers!
Inspiring me to make some off the list of 50S100C, just need the time set aside, hoping soon.

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E , @Reo, @JerryP , @PamPurrs , @BigAl , @skydvr, and @JT for the kind words.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E! I didn’t know anyone was watching the old videos. Thanks for that!

3 Likes

I went to watch Michelle that you posted, then went down the @JerryP rabbit hole one night.

:grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks for watching. :blush:

3 Likes

Um, channel?! hint

1 Like

Nice job @BigAl,
Great tone and love the colour of the bass,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice job @RuknRole,
Loved the improv stuff, very cool :sunglasses:,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Nice job Jerry @JerryP,
Great supporting video,
Solid bass work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks Brian! Always appreciate your comments.

3 Likes

Loved it!
It does sound great sped up a bit.

3 Likes

I actually think the orginal track slowly speeds up. As I am practicing it when I go from the end back to the beginning I feel like its a lot slower!

4 Likes

I definitely felt it speed up.

2 Likes

I can’t say that I liked playing this song much at all, but did appreciate the technical difficulty it presents in getting each pluck just right to make it sound good.
I also can’t say this is my best work, took a lot more trys than I thought.
Simple is certainly difficult, but we are here to learn after all.
Going to give @JoshFossgreen’s delay pedal training a whirl to try to clean up my timing.

Took @BigAl’s foam idea (foam paintbrush cut to size)
Squire On Steroids Jazz Bass
Neck pickup 100%, Bridge pickup 50%, tone ~40%
Fender Studio through Focusrite Scarlet into Abelton Live using KGB-800 amp sim with 8x10 Vintage cab sim.

https://youtu.be/NLYXOtF1yQ8

20 Likes

Great job, John @John_E . . . :slight_smile:

Your bass looks great, too!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Nice job @John_E!
:+1:

3 Likes

Sounded great to me. And totally agree that the simpler something is, the more it highlights imperfections, but I didn’t really pick up on any with your playing.

5 Likes