Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

LOL I don’t know what they can walk me through. I tried a couple of different versions of the song in YT and its just not the same.

2 Likes

What @T_dub means is that it is hard to troubleshoot without more information. It could be how you are playing the song, but we can’t help with that without seeing it. It could be intonation, which we can’t see, but could hear… It could be that you are hearing something that others aren’t (not saying you are crazy!). Might be listening to the wrong track. Could be something in your signal path altering the sound. Lots of things could be going on. I’d suggest recording 30s or so of the song and uploading it here so we can try to help.

2 Likes

Yeah, what @JT said.
Sorry if I was not more clear about what I was asking you to do.

1 Like

Lol it’s all good. I’ll try and do that tomorrow. Thanks :slight_smile: I did use the Yt video posted in this thread.

3 Likes

Mine sounded out as well when I tried to play a long with a youtube video… Im thinking there are different versions of this song…Theres a different tab on ultimate guitar pro which i saw someone on here playing too… I had a look at what other people were playing and jammed along with them and found one thatsounded right… Did you get the discord version im guessing that one would be right. @Retta75

2 Likes

The song was done in different keys so other versions won’t match the tabs, unless you transpose the notes. If you use the file on the Discord thread you should be fine.

4 Likes

Are you sure your bass is tuned correctly (A=440 Hz)? Not too long ago, someone here on the forums discovered they had been tuning their bass (using a Zoom B1 Four) with A set to 445 Hz. Happened to me once as well. I also own a Korg GA-2 guitar/bass tuner that has a button that sets it to “flat” tuning (by one to five semitones). It’s easy to make mistakes using units like these.

5 Likes

I just last night turned the ‘volume knob’ on the Zoom while tuning which changes A440 to all other wrong things, thankfully I noticed quickly

4 Likes

LOL I have no idea what the Hz is. I just use one of those clip on tuners or the one in BIAS FX.

3 Likes

The display, when tuning should have a in small letters somewhere that would say 440.
If it does not read 440, and reads anything else, then it will tune to a different key.

440hz is what the A string, when tuned rings at. So the 440 standard, tunes everything according to that hz.

Most tuners have a button or button combo you can press to scroll thru some other options, like 442, 444, 448, 434, 438 adn 440.

This is what you want to check, that whereever it shows on your tuning screen, that it says 440.
If you tune to something other then 440, it WILL sound wrong compared to a track that has the bass tuned to 440.

4 Likes

I think you mean that 440Hz is a reference pitch, @T_dub

The A string on a bass guitar rings at 55.0 Hz if 440Hz is the reference.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Thanks for correcting that.

4 Likes

Having been playing this song more today, I have to agree with @Retta75 that it doesn’t sound in tune on the YouTube link that I’m using. And my bass is definitely in tune.

2 Likes

Good to know it’s not just me. My bass was in tune as well. It just wasn’t right.

3 Likes

Re-listening to my take, I guess it is slightly out of tune.
Maybe that’s why I was searching for the right tone for so long!

1 Like

So, I’ve been doing a bit of research on this since I couldn’t sleep (not because of this). There are lots of different ways people are playing this. I mean… lots!

So, I’ve tested them all out and without changing what @JoshFossgreen has done too much, I think the simplest change that makes it sound better is instead of playing the C# that is the 4th Fret on the A string, play the C# that is an octave higher on the 6th fret on the G string. The rest of the tab is the same. So, the whole song is just on the D string and G string. Here is the tab that shows that, but it really is the same as Josh’s apart from playing that one note an octave higher.

The other change that makes it sound better is to tune down 1/4 step. The way I did that is to use this online tuner and get the needle halfway between the C# and D for the D string and halfway between the F# and G for the G string. So it looks like this:

qtr tuning

Here is the site I used to do the tuning. It will ask to access your microphone and you have to say Yes. You also need to have your bass connected to your computer (using a DAI for example) to do this. You could do it on other physical tuners, but it might be harder.

The third thing to do is to try to give it more of an upright sound by playing near the end of the fretboard, muting with foam, neck pickup only, rolling back tone, etc.

Here’s a quick snippet I made (I’ll do a full video later) of what these changes sound like:

https://youtu.be/CHUT42RcGKQ

4 Likes

Sounds spot on!

3 Likes

thanks for the tips :slight_smile:
I played with Neck PU only and Treble muted muted.
Kinda dig it!
Only gave it 2 tries tho, as someone in Discord says, this one feels more like a homework, so no video either :frowning:

https://youtu.be/GBmPtl4-uXE

11 Likes

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Not a fan of the blues? :slight_smile:

Good job on this. Miss the kilt though. Hopefully you like the next song more!

3 Likes