Song 44 - "Longview" by Green Day

Song: Longview
Artist: Green Day
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlOuYdPVlak

Spotify Link

2 Likes

This one was a bit of a struggle today. I had to slap a bandaid on it in the middle. In the end I think it turned out okay.

I started playing in March 2020.

14 Likes

Great stuff!

3 Likes

Fantastic job @Paul_9207 !!
Seriously good.

High up in the mix though.
That said, tone so cool I didn’t really care much.

I think this is your best cover to date.

2 Likes

Thanks you so much for the kind words @John_E
I’ve been trying to put a lot more effort into the mixing and editing, which has been a huge pain in the butt. Worth it though I think. Thanks again.

1 Like

Yes! That’s a kick ass cover @Paul_9207, love the treble on your tone

3 Likes

Thank you. @dlamson13

2 Likes

I was never a big fan of Green Day until I started torturing the bass. After listening to your cover, I’m even more of a fan!

That was stellar, good job! :clap:

3 Likes

Thank you so much @sakkasie I really appreciate the kindness.

Sweet video! A few mistakes nobody would ever notice. Play it 1000 more times and you’ll be as bored as Mike Dirnt on stage! :smiley:

I’ve got this song to an out of tempo standard but would like to patch it up to speed. Kudos to your practice and performance!

1 Like

Thanks @wrxloaf !

This one is dedicated to my little sister. One day she traded in her Ace of Base cassette for a copy of Green Day Dookie. Billie Joe was kind enough to include a lyric sheet. My mom wasn’t impressed. It goes to show rock and roll was still alive, well, and pissing off parents back in 94 :rofl:

Memories aside, I loved learning this song. It felt fresh and unlike anything else I’ve worked on. Having a guitar background helped a lot, I’m pretty sure it would’ve been a pia otherwise. Thanks for checking it out.

6 Likes

Oh the days of trotting down to Mr. Musichead, a little independent shop near my home growing up. So many dollars spent on new CDs there and Dookie was one of them! Was pretty sad when the place closed up shop…

Anyways, it’s a fun song to play, quite challenging as well! The interlude was tougher to do with a pick than I expected. I also finally took some time to make a proper thumbnail.

Used a MX P Bass with Volume and Tone on full. Cali76 comp into the Darkglass head. Boosted 840 & 2kHz in the mix as well to try and catch the tone of the original. Don’t think I got there in the end but I like where we landed.

Thanks for checking it out! :poop:

2 Likes

Had to start on the D string as I dont have enough frets. :slight_smile: In no way perfect, but hope this is good enough to pass #44. I will play this again sometime, love the song. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic! Some timing issues and bad notes but you know the spots that need improvement! Loved the tone, it’s not a U bass, but some type of short scale?

1 Like

Thank you @cheeze_pizza :slight_smile: The bad notes is ok, the timing is not. Think I have to redo it when I come back home. The bass is a small travel bass from Blackstar, quite nice.:+1:

Agree with @cheeze_pizza
overall fantastic.
Your mix is a bit low and hard to hear bass clearly but otherwise really good!

1 Like