Song 6 - "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley

Thanks, :+1:
yes, I have trouble with that, I don’t always find a reference for the timing within the song, so once I slipped it’s hard to get on it again, and if I like the song I’m more likely to loose it :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I do that too, I have to still balance playing it right with totally getting into it and going off into a forest somewhere.

1 Like

Jumping into this one next, noodled a bit at it this morning.

1 Like

That’s some nice bass tone. I can’t tell whether or not you’re in the groove as I can barely hear the backing track, but it sounds like like you did okay. Nice job.

1 Like

Hey @Reo ,
Good job on the challenge,
Nice finger work on both hands, just noticed some tonal differences during the song, and as mentioned some syncing stuff, but your here to learn and progress your playing and your doing a fine job,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Doing this was a good wake-up call that my pinky isn’t getting anywhere near far enough on its frets. Otherwise two minor mistakes, but it came out okay!

10 Likes

Do you mean sometimes your pinky is fretting too far from the fret? I did notice sometimes you are in-between frets with the pinky. But recognizing that and working on it is all that is needed to correct it in due time. I think most of us are still trying to get right up next to the frets. Especially hard when not looking at the fretboard, but obviously we don’t want to stare at the fretboard all the time.

I think your pinky is longer than my middle finger, but I have to do micro-shifts all the time to get my hand to where it needs to be for the fretting. You might want to do try that and slide your hand down a bit instead of rotating on the thumb. However, I think as your finger flexibility improves over time, you will not need to micro-shift for this particular song.

Anyway, I thought you did a great job. I’m glad you don’t stress over 100% perfection. I don’t think I’ve ever had that and it would probably take me 100 takes to do that, which is not what we want people doing for this challenge. This isn’t going to the record labels. :slight_smile:

I’m enjoying your playing and enthusiasm. Looking forward to more!

4 Likes

Precisely, I see it landing right in the middle.

4 Likes

This is an excellent groove to work on that. I play this a few minutes each day as part of my warmup routine and am getting so much better at that. Used to be a real problem for me. I focus on fretting and don’t worry about speed. Just a couple minutes a day.

4 Likes

Very nicely done @fosskers ! Rock on, man!

3 Likes

Got back on board with the challenge, never really took too much notice of this song, but gotta say I enjoyed playing it :slight_smile: Even if my son wasn’t interested haha :slight_smile:
Hope you guys enjoy it too.

https://youtu.be/W1qjuh2RT-E

13 Likes

Well done @MattHinchliffe

4 Likes

Good job @MattHinchliffe and everyone else who put in the effort.

4 Likes

Great job on this! Sounded spot on to me. And my kids don’t care either. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very well done @MattHinchliffe ! The tone sounded great on that.

4 Likes

I have found this song is an EXCELLENT practice tool for Major arpeggios.
I started playing it and changing the arpeggio SHAPE or LOCATION, EVERY BAR - including the ending bit, where I play it 8-8-7-5 on the A string, or 13-13-12-10 on the E string, etc…
(I also found that playing it 8-8-7-5 on the A string, was an easier jump from the last bar arpeggio with Root of G on the D string. If anyone is having trouble with that jump back to 3rd fret on the D string from the 7th on the G string, just try crossing to the 8th on the A string instead of jumping back. Could be helpful?)

My shapes are root on the C on A string, or C on E string, or C on D string (with this one, the 2nd root note F, you play down the G string.

It is really fun, and super beneficial to me for practice, while I am finishing up Mark’s Chord Tones course (I never finished it because I was losing the all access pass, but now that I got the course, I am completing it now)

Also, I played it all with 1 finger. This is super good exercise for jumping around the neck with speed and accuracy.

Hopefully some of you think it is useful as well.
Could be any song with Major or Minor arpeggios and repeating chord progression (12 bar blues is great), doesn’t have to be this song, but after watching many of your awesome videos, I started thinking, Hmmm. This could be fun.

I ended up playing it for about an hour the first night.

4 Likes

Nice job Matt @MattHinchliffe,
Great tone from your bass, you looked like you were in the groove on this one.
I’m a bit like your son with this song, i think id rather be colouring in something :joy: :joy:
Just a little syncing issue, no big deal,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice work @fosskers ,
cool tone and you looked like all you need is the dinner suit on and you would fit right in with Elvis and the band :rofl: :joy: :rofl:.
besides the couple little mistakes you played it really smoothly,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

This one took a bit more time than Crazy or Folsom Prison Blues - I think it was the relatively fast tempo and the little variations in the bass line at the end of each verse/chorus/solo. The hardest thing was the ending where you have to stop in the middle of the G arpeggio but keep counting for the final slam or whatever, though I think it went alright in the end. Couple of mistakes, but I’m satisfied with it.

I did this before Highway to Hell, but I’m gonna record that one too. Not this week though, or the next one, as I’m leaving the town for a while. Glad to have managed to do three songs within a week though :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice job again @kowry
Just watch those tempo/not duration markings.
Some are longer and some are shorter, you played them all basically the same.
Middle note of each bar should be a bit longer than the other two…

Great job overall though!
3 in a week is impressive business.

5 Likes