Effortless.

4 Likes

Nice cover @Barney,
Like the tone your getting,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

:+1: @Barney

4 Likes

Great job @Barney. Love your productions too.

3 Likes

Sounds great!

4 Likes

Well done Barney, super relaxed.
Iā€™m going to need some video editing tips from you. Posting my first video for this one shortly and it looks like crapā€¦
I donā€™t really care, but Iā€™m sure I can make it way better with a few pointers.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also falling behind, need the kids to get back to schoolā€¦
This whole school closure here is nonsense. I couldnā€™t care less about covid, I need my bass time!
:rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™m using Garage Band as my DAW and Imovie. If youā€™re using those then feel free to message me privately and Iā€™d be happy to give you some pointers!

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s why you are so polished, you are a Mac guy!
:joy:

Iā€™m a Win/Linux person. I guess I gonna have to keep my cheapo look. :wink:

3 Likes

OK, first video upload.
Lighting in my room is not great, but it is what it isā€¦

I had a real hard time with the timing on this one. The swinging up-beat was hard to nail consistently, and I feel either the tempo speeds up a bit as the guitar solos come in,or just the swinging feeling changes a bit.
But, it was a lot of fun, and Iā€™m trying to get back on the timeline, so this is where Iā€™m at.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bXyDXd6xYyXF88fpFpEqZUFD2ukdYw5n/view?usp=sharing

9 Likes

The whole point of this endeavour, in my very humble opinion, is to have fun and learn some songs. Itā€™s the doing of the thing i.e working on the song that has the value. Focused practice as opposed to noodling.
Whatever you do is great, because itā€™s your take on a classic song.

7 Likes

Totally agree, this is why I am trying to stick to this challenge. The focused practice is so important, and it is what is fun for me.

5 Likes

Great job for your first video @y.farkash ,
Your tone was nice and I think you did a pretty good job with the timing, besides the couple of little bits towards the end.
The one thing that did stand out was your syncing of the music to your video, but that takes a lot of work to get it right.
You had a good groove going and I could tell by your expression at the end you were glad to have gotten through it all.
Just remember it gets easier, keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Great job on this! You did well on the notes and Iiked the tone. One thing to look out for is how far your fingers venture from the fingerboard when you arenā€™t using them. Not a big deal, but just something to work on. The closer the are, the quicker they can get to the fingerboard and the less energy is expelled. Might matter when playing more intense music. Keep them coming!

3 Likes

Hey great job @y.farkash !
Welcome to the challenge.
Nothing more than what the others said here.
Iā€™m impressed with your ability to ā€˜danceā€™ / bop around while you play, Iā€™m not that coordinated yet.

3 Likes

That was a very good job, as others have said, a few things to work on, but overall, great job.

Funny thing is, the more I watch bass players playing aggressively from punk to speed metal, the more I see fingers flailing all over the place. It is of course a good thing to work on overall, but I think it is more important with more precise jazz progressions and stuff like that.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly correct. Learning songs is a great way to practice. Itā€™s like getting on the road and driving, as opposed to spending all your time in a simulator.

5 Likes

@TNKA36, @Barney, @T_dub , @John_E , @JT :
Thank you for the kind words and input.

I used to work more on my flying fingers, but all my practice has fallen apart in recent months. I kind of depend on this challenge just to pick up the bass these days. It is a godsend to me, I would probably have given up on playing if it wasnā€™t for that.

@John_E : As far as moving when Iā€™m playing: It helps me keep time and feel where the beat is. I actually find it hard to play when I am trying to be still. Even when I practice sitting down I have to move my legs or my head. It is weird, because I hate dancing and am terrible at it, but I Also canā€™t not move when the music is on.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think that is weird, I am the same way. Dancing to me is a circle pit :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I need to move a leg, or tap a foot, or bob my head, something more then just moving fingers or I find it hard to keep time as well.

3 Likes

Joe Dart approvesā€¦ check out the head bobbing on this one :slight_smile:

Anyway, on topic, Iā€™m hoping to record Hound Dog later today.

6 Likes