Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last five decades

And if you watch one of the Beato/Spender collabs, you get both Old Boomer and Young Edgelord in the same video :rofl:

Ok, sheā€™s not an edgelord, but she is kind of following Rickā€™s clickbait lead, especially on the ā€œvocalists are dying out because technology!ā€ fearmongering.

And Beato has literally made the ā€œthe youngs suck at musicā€ video.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s part of the whole Rick Beatto wannabe cadre along with rthett Shull. I can tolerate Rick, I canā€™t take the others anymore :joy:

1 Like

I think she might be the biggest offender. I greatly prefer Rhettā€™s guitar content over her ā€œwhy vocalists are fuckedā€ thing.

1 Like

I havenā€™t watched her stuff in quite a while. Every time I see it come up in my feed I look at the clickbait title, roll my eyes and carry on :laughing:

I wish sheā€™d just do her own thing, Iā€™d rather listen to her play viola :smile: unfortunately YT as a business means you have to play their game. I find that in the last 4 years or so, thereā€™s been an explosion of copycats always doing the same things, never innovating and itā€™s really diluted the content.

Recently I needed to do some 3d animation and I hadnā€™t used the software since around 2017 so I figured Iā€™d check YT to update my skills. At that time, there was maybe 6 good channels for the software and each one was somewhat specialized with the type of content they did. Now, there are dozens of channels, all with the same stuff and most of them arenā€™t nearly as good, theyā€™re just creating content for consumption. Iā€™m sticking more to skillshare and udemy now for training courses.

I value my time and more and more, I just waste it being unproductive on YT. On the up side, it has been making me play a lot more :blush:

1 Like

So, I donā€™t know any of the names mentioned in the previous comments - but Iā€™m not the Tiktok generation, like you :slight_smile:

Getting back to the topic, and understanding @sunDOG 's remark of the generational thing really well, these are my thoughts:

• the studie says that music tends to have more repeating/simple lyrics. Which means: these songs have less to say. It might mean that the song writer was simply lazy, has no message or just limited himself/herself to the buzzwords to sell better. Itā€™s going from ā€œLawerence of Arabiaā€ to a Tiktok unboxing video.
  • Words like ā€œIā€ or ā€œmyā€ became more important. So while songs were orginally more about ā€œyouā€ or ā€œweā€ or even ā€œthemā€ , songs are now more self centered ā€¦ and things we own!? My car? My b#tch? My Glock?
  • Negative emotions prevail. Now I am a big fan of 80s new wave melacholia, but rage seems to be more important now. This is definetely a sign of time, where everybody seems to be in ā€œflight or fightā€ mode. Just look at politics (but do not discuss it, cause of forum rules). Everybody likes to fight about everything. Loud! Obnoxious! Uninformedā€¦

So we are talking about lazy, simple-minded, self centered and loud music for the tiktok generation, that does not want or is not able to explore their own emotions or grander ideas!?

SIgned, old f@rt :slight_smile:

Is this a peer-reviewed, academic study, supported by statistically verifiable evidence, or just anecdote? The fact that my dad through 80s music was cr@p, and I thought current music was cr@p (until my daughter started demanding things in the car) is anecdote, BTW :wink:.

Iā€™d be interested to see the robust studiesā€¦.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s pretty robust!

I know about this generation thing, of course.
And remember: I spent (and still spend) most of my time in the techno scene, where my friends could be my grand children now.

So I try to stay open minded. For techno/electro itā€™s easy, as there are no lyrics or nothing that means anything anyway.

But for lyrics itā€™s different. Lyrics is poetry.!

And of course I can find trivial lyrics from all ages of musical history.
But I think - with social media and the rejection of ā€œheavy contentā€ - something more profound is going on, that reflects in music, film and literatureā€¦
We are in the middle of a real paradigm shift, dehumanizing people on a cognitive and emotional level. I 100% believe that!

Let me give an example. Love songs, especially ā€œlostā€ love songs.

So, most of my younger friends start their relations on either Tinder (70%) or Joyclub (30% - this is the hardcore Tinder version). Some incidentally meet somebody in real life. But that is becoming really rare!
When the relationship breaks up they simply swipe into another (or spend some time with easy one night stands from Joyclub).

What song can you write about a breakup, when ā€œloveā€ became just a good for consumption. People are easily replaced with an app. There is no time for suffering or reflection. Maybe future generation will not be able tooā€¦

Surely we will not get something like ā€œI want youā€ by Elvis Costello anymore!?

(The ā€œcheesy partā€ ends at 0:50 - then the real song starts)

ā€¦is not the same as hereā€™s the peer reviewed study.

Exactly, I could cite, as anecdotal evidence, from the 80s:

Frankie Goes To Hollywoodā€™s Relax - we all know what itā€™s about, but itā€™s not exactly lyrically dense.

Duran2ā€™s Reflex - more lyrically dense than the FGTH song, but pretty meaningless in terms of words.

Yet both were huge hits.

Once again, where is the statistically proven, peer reviewed research to support this? Belief has never sat well with meā€¦

1 Like

Did you read the PDF? I understand the topic ā€œpeer reviewedā€ well, but every studie starts non-reviewed, to discuss and disprove it. You know, ā€œdialectical principleā€ and all that.

So letā€™s wait and find out. And in the meantime peer review it ourselves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well thatā€™s a nice thing to say, but unfortunately, like you, Iā€™m mid-50s :rofl:

My favorite music of all time was late '70s through early '90s, and even I think '80s pop is likely the second worst, behind '70s pop, which is easily the worst. Todayā€™s pop is subjectively and objectively so much better.

Because ainā€™t nothin touching ā€œMuskrat Loveā€ when it comes to shitty, shitty pop.

2 Likes

I have to block you from now on :slight_smile:

Donā€™t make me post examples :rofl:

1 Like

That was not pop :rofl:

'80s music loved today is not the absolute dogshit '80s pop that dominated the airwaves.

Then again, like I said, the '70s was the clear winner for garbage pop. This catastrophe was #1 for weeks :rofl:

1 Like

Compare with pop from the last decade:

Both subjectively and objectively much better, lyrically and (IMO) musically.

The discussion is about music, not pop!

You were replying to my comment about pop and even quoted it :rofl:

And letā€™s be intellectually honest here, the study is also about pop. Using lyrics written by Roland Orzabal or Ian Curtis is likely a categorical fallacy in terms of the study. I can easily produce examples from the last 20 years that easily stand up to my favorite bands from '70s and '80s lyrically, too, including Joy Division (my favorite band, as it turns out).

2 Likes

Ah, I never really read your posts, sorry :slight_smile:

No, but seriously: letā€™s not limit to pop only. Pop is often another word for ā€œit s#cksā€!