Sound stiff or am I just a Bass Bot?

:crystal_ball: My sources say no

5 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Exactly what I expected.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Stiff playing is almost always cerebral, worried playing.
I do this all the time when I’m worried about messing up. The things that help me loosen up are:

• Knowing the song so well I can get through by listening rather than thinking/planning/counting

• Focusing on the drummer and other musicians instead of my part. - to do this, sometimes when practicing I’ll turn my volume off so that I can feel what I’m doing, but the sound I’m hearing is the recording and the band - helps me try and lock in with the music rather than listen to and think about what I’m doing.

Hope that helps!
And, as @eric.kiser said, this is something that happens/will happen. Hopefully you find your method for relaxing and grooving rather than Bass Bot-ing.

5 Likes

Totally OK with the two points that @Gio just said ! exactly the same for me, except that I was not able to formalize it clearly :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This make me think about something closely related to this two points : when I find that it’s not easy to stick to the groove, I listen to the song (without playing it) and I use a pen to move my fingers as if I was playing an “air drum”, to help me feel the drum/rythmic groove. Sometimes it’s really helpful.

3 Likes

Josh has a video addressing this issue:

https://youtu.be/K7fRnVEIYts

3 Likes

@Bassbot Start self-destruct

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @bassbot display help.

Last cover I did, I must have done 24 takes over the course of 2 weeks. I woke up on a Sunday, made a cup of coffee, plugged in and intended to record a throwaway track so I could focus on what I was doing wrong–nailed it; because I was just playing and not caring.

1 Like

@bassbot start advanced tutorial

2 Likes

No response yet.

@Bassbot must be buffering. :rofl:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @bassbot display help.

Well, at least (and most) he can say this^^^. :joy:

I’d assume you have to leave the braces out of the command

Correct, leave out the brackets and it should work. The tutorials are very useful, by the way. Plus you get a badge for completing them! :partying_face:

1 Like

Tried that. Nada.

@Bassbot start advanced tutorial

Worked this time.

2 Likes

if you edited the original message, that might not trigger bassbot. “He” might only watch for new posts.

See above.^^^

It’s a new-user interactive tutorial. Teaches more advanced steps of how to navigate the posting interface.

1 Like

To me, bass is all about the feel of the sound. Playing technically precise is great, but if it sounds stiff and robotic it doesn’t really have the same impact.

Sometimes it’s about allowing notes to sustain for just a fraction of a second longer, letting the notes flow and mesh together. It’s a hard thing to describe but you know it when you hear it, and as you said that just comes with practice. Keep your chin up (or down if you need to stare at the fretboard :joy:).