Squier V.M. '70s Jazz Bass vs American Ultra Jazz Bass

The rule of thumb is with the grain. That said, because you’re roughing down a varnish and not sanding wood, it matters a bit less.

I would still do it lengthwise along the neck to get a consistent texture along the whole length. Unless you have CNC-level hand control, it would be quite hard to get bands of sanded varnish even one end to the other.

6 Likes

Good point!
BTW, I stumbled upon this guy today on this topic.
He is a repair tech, not too much on basses, but a serious hoot to watch!
He is really good too, and the attention to detail on the transitions of the neck are excellent. I was just going mask off and leave the ‘line’ there, but now maybe not.

5 Likes

If you like him, you’ll love my countryman Dave from Toronto. If you watch AvE on “da toob”, you can think of Dave as the AvE of guitars, does lots of basses as well.

Dave’s fun world of stuff

5 Likes

Never did it myself but I found the same references the others did. I would absolutely do this if I had a gloss neck.

Apparently 3M pads work well for this too.

4 Likes

Right angle cord jack, routet thru your strap is a great way to utilize the input jack on the lower edge of the bass. This way the cord is not pointed towards the floor, then pulled back thru your strap, for safety reasons, and the right angle points the cable up the bass right towards your strap.

If you have not already tried this, you may appreciate the jack out the side of the body instead of out the control panel. I sure like my side jack better, especially with the right angle cord end.

8 Likes

Yeah same here, I like it on the side of the body

5 Likes

That’s what I’m doing, @T_dub and @howard . . . :slight_smile:

I have always used a right angle jack going into the bass . . . it’s just more difficult to see the input jack in the side location. I didn’t want to scratch up the paint feeling around for it and it’s just going to be a minor adjustment for me.

Thanks for your input,
Joe

6 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, scratches will give it some character just like scars. You just have to mentally survive that first scratch haha. In the end it is just a product that wants to be used.

5 Likes

Doesn’t it have a metal plate around the jack?

4 Likes

Yes, there’s a small oval metal plate around it, @howard

I just need to lift the body up when I’m plugging in . . . :slight_smile: Again, this is just a very minor adjustment I have to make . . . I probably shouldn’t even have mentioned it.

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

If you want to protect the paint around the jack from scratching, 3M do a very thin, clear protective film called Scotchcal. It’s easy to apply, complies with curves and is all but invisible when installed.

I use it on motorcycles and you wouldn’t know it was there unless the light catches the edge of the film just right.

5 Likes

No worries, it’s a valid remark. See also this thread about a similar issue with the Ibanez jack Ibanez SR300EB output jack

3 Likes

If scars give character, I have enough character for a whole band.

4 Likes

That’s kind what I’ve noticed, though just by ear; I don’t have a P bass but I’m more or less familiar with the typical sound and feel. It doesn’t take much at all to capture the P bass’ boomier sound with plenty of bite left for edge and clarity. Personally I tend to just turn down the tone knob when I want something that sounds deeper, and I have a Squier too!

4 Likes

A bit late in the day but this just came up on my YouTube feed and I thought you might be interested @Jazzbass19

Fender Jazz Bass Shootout - Pro vs Elite vs Mex Standard - YouTube

2 Likes

Hey, @Mac . . . :slight_smile:

I think I went half blind watching a number of these “shootout” and comparison videos between different basses!

There are so many variables involved: tone settings, amp or DI settings, different people (such as in the video above), finger plucking style, pick style, etc. etc. that it’s really tough, and I usually couldn’t tell much of difference in sound and tone.

That’s why I did the Squier vs American Ultra comparison myself, under the same conditions, with no pressure or stress . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for your input . . .

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I did and still do the same with Rickenbacker basses and then always disagree with the person reviewing the bass if I don’t like what they’re saying :joy:
I enjoyed reading your review @Jazzbass19 as I know that you had no other motivation other than showing the differences and pro’s/ cons.
And wether intentional or not you’ve got me looking at jazz basses :scream::flushed:

3 Likes

Hey Joe @Jazzbass19, et al, I am late to this party but CONGRATS - beautiful bass!! I love the white with the tort pick guard (sorry Toby @T_dub I still love ya man).

I love what @Gio said about the “…legend and visual power of the myth of the Fender Bass…”

And also, what @John_E said about “value.”

Your updates bring back a flood of memories for me (only difference is I went passive, not active) from when I was researching and deciding which Bass to buy. I had ordered and paid for a Squier Contemporary Jazz Bass but the online retailer (I won’t mention name but their initials are GC) could not ship it due to a Covid warehouse closure and never could give me a firm date commitment of when I would get it. Someone turned me on to another retailer (I won’t mention name but it is the one who gives candy with your delivery :wink:). They had the Fender American Professional Jazz Bass in stock and shipped it that day.

Point is, I had to make the “value” decision $1,500 + vs. ~$500 and am glad I went the way I did! I don’t own any of the Squiers but still consider it as: 1. @JoshFossgreen spoke highly of it in the entry level bass review videos he and @Gio did. 2. As you mentioned, Josh plays one in a lot of YT videos. 3. If for no other reason than (to Gio’s point) the American made Bass makes me “feel” good and I want to play it. Whether or not I get to take advantage of the “…legend and visual power of the myth of the Fender Bass…” I guess will be determined about how well I play the part and learn to play it. And 4. As I have mentioned in previous comments (on other threads), “Everyone needs at least 12 Basses, MORE if you actually play the Bass!!” LOL

Enjoy it my friend, you deserve it. I look forward to seeing a cover video or other with you featuring the Ultra so we can hear it!!

6 Likes

As long as you have deep enough pockets, it’s a great idea, @JDDaniel . . . :+1:

I’m very happy with both my basses, and I use the Ultra exclusively now . . . but I’ll say it again here: The Squier VM Jazz Bass plays and feels much the same as the American Ultra, and is probably the best bang-for-the-buck Fender bass you can get.

Thanks for your kind words, and good luck with your Am Pro Jazz . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

True that @Jazzbass19 . I am not Daddy Warbucks, but am definitely blessed more than I deserve.

Now the only question for me to answer is, when exactly did I want to go ahead and buy the Rickenbacker and Music Man basses I’ve been eyeing?!? LoL Just kidding (maybe).

5 Likes