Stand Alone Power Amplifiers

6db.

Every three decibels of volume requires the power output to double.

in contrast, a perceived doubling of volume is something like 10db (I forget exactly how much).

2 Likes

Yes

3 Likes

Thanks, that helps

1 Like

+1
It’s 10

3 Likes

Is there any way to guesstimate something like:

125w amp full power would be equivalent to 250w at 7/10 and 500w at 5/10, or are there too many variables to make a generalization like that.

and I don’t mean 7/10 and 5/10, just using numbers to fill in, if you know, what would they be

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to guess it.

1 Like

Here is what I used to use for stereo amps. It is a generalization. It also assumes some things. One is you have to know the sensitivity of your speaker. A speaker that is 85 dB sensitivity (average home speaker) means 1W will give you 85 dB with your head 1 meter in front of it. Not realistic in the real world, sound diminishes quickly with distance.

Watts to dB (see explanation below)

1W = assume 85dB/w/m = 85dB
2w = +3 dB = 88dB
4w = 6
8w = 9
16w = 12 = 97dB (2x loud)
32w = 15
64w = 18
128w = 21 = 106 dB (2x loud)***
256w = 24 = 109 dB***
512w = 27 = 112 dB***
1024w = 30 = 115 dB (2x loud)
2048w = 33
4096w = 36
8192w = 39 = 124 dB (2x loud)

some sample spl readings at performances:
New age: 60-70 dB
Folk: 75-90 dB
Jazz: 80-95 dB
Pop: 90-95 dB
Classical: 100 dB
Rock: 95-110 dB
Heavy metal: 110 dB

It’s kind of accepted that the smallest increase in dB that can be easily heard is +3 dB (i.e. increasing 5 dB to 8 dB sounds “a little louder”). In order to get this you need to DOUBLE the amp’s watts. A +10 dB increase is perceived as twice as loud. So as you can see as amps get bigger you get insane diminished returns. Which is why I think buying huge amps is a waste of money. Some people will argue that it gives you added “headroom” (peak transients/loud short bursts) but the usefulness of this seems to be controversial amongst engineers (and basses don’t have nearly as much peaks as guitars). This makes sense because as we just said, an amp would have to be able to momentarily double it’s continuous power to give you a +3 increase in dB (a little louder). To me, for most people the sweet spot zone for amps is *** above, which is why most bass amps are between 100-500w.

tldr: get a 500W amp. if you need a super monster amp, get a 1000W amp. Crown amplifiers has a great article on this.

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

2 Likes

@itsratso I read the whole article.

Now I want to play a coffee shop with 10,000 watts and a double stack of 105 db sensitivity speakers. :metal::smiling_imp::metal:

Seriously though, that was a great article.

3 Likes

I think it has to do with what resource the amplifier runs out of first. If it drives down to 4 Ohms it has the current capacity. If it can supply the same power at 8 Ohms it has to also have the voltage capacity.

2 Likes

not a lot of manufacturers publish the sensitivity ratings of bass cabinets, but i have a feeling they are much more sensitive than home speakers. i found a 1x12 cabinet that was rated at 97dB :open_mouth: that’s close to twice as loud as a comparable home stereo speaker. high sensitivity home speakers became a big thing when audiophiles would fall in love with low power tube amps, where you could drive 110 dB speakers to insane levels with 8 or 10 watts. also a big thing in japan, where stereo guys sit 2 feet in front of their stereos (nearfield listening) because apartments are so small.

https://jazztimes.com/reviews/products-and-gear/audiofiles-why-are-ultra-low-power-amps-all-the-rage-among-audiophiles/

4 Likes

That’s classic Bradford Benn. I guessed him after the first sentence. He definitely knows what he’s talking about. Samsung bought Harman(Crown) and very siilily let him go. He landed as the manager of technical systems for Universal Studios theme park creative division.

4 Likes

Audiophiles here are as
 audiophile as you would expect. Another way they go are extremely high power electrostatic ribbon headphones, like Stax.

So you see guys running their stereos in to a $3k 50W 6SN7-based tube headphone amp like this, just to drive their 'phones.

Audiophiles: the same everywhere

2 Likes

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :rofl:

3 Likes

I mean, FFS:

● Impedance: 170 KΩ (at f = 10 KHz)

1 Like

Pffft pocket change.

2 Likes

I just literally LOLed at Beyer’s $1200 pair claiming they use “Tesla-based technology”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhYMnHb5JY

2 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

it’s almost like they are trolling audiophiles hard with that, and if so, I fully approve :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah that’s what I though, it can’t be serious

2 Likes

@DaveT Can you offer any tips on finding a power amp that will do 250 watts @ 8 Ohms?

I’ve come across some on the used market that are a lot cheaper than the ones in the list above. Although I would like something smaller, going with a cheap rack mount would be easier on my wallet.

1 Like