Starting 2023 with

…this statement, for which putting it down on paper (?) constitutes making it a “thing”.

I currently have two keeper basses: a Carvin B40 and a Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod IV. I hereby state that unless something beyond my control, and not of my own purposeful doing, renders one or both of those basses unplayable, I will not purchase, trade, or otherwise acquire another bass for the entirety of 2023.

So mote it be.

16 Likes

8 Likes

If you happen to decide you need a third keeper bass, I support that decision too.

11 Likes

It is now etched in stone

7 Likes

Tim… may I call you Tim? You say you only have two basses, but you were found window shopping on the nights between January 1st and January 5th. Is that not true?

10 Likes

9 Likes

I’m fully with this! :smile:

7 Likes

So mote it be.

7 Likes

The fact that you have to write this clearly shows that the statement will not stand.
You were just looking today about how to upgrade your DAI that didn’t need upgrading.

It’s ok man, we all have our vices.
Breathe.
Give in.
Let it consume you.

6 Likes

7 Likes

I saw this Carvin SB5000 and think ya need it.

@JustTim

3 Likes

popcorn_woman2

3 Likes

That’s an interesting take. Alternately, it could clearly show that I am publicly making a commitment to it, instead of having it floating around in my head to be easily ignored.

The stress of the Carvin B4 “forever bass” situation was real, having publicly stated the intent to never sell it. The only reason it’s not my “forever bass” now is because of the twisted neck; thus the “something beyond my control and not of my own purposeful doing” clause above.

True. Far and away, though, DAIs and basses are very different animals. And in my defense, I wasn’t asking how to upgrade my DAI, I was asking if the Focusrite was an upgrade worthy of consideration.

I absolutely cannot, LOL. And again, you’re not helping! :smiley:

You know, that’s an awesome bass, and I love the Carvin-ness of it. That said, the SB series is the one Carvin line I don’t like. That horn sticking up looks weird to me.

That and I’ve come to the conclusion that 5-strings are not for me.

Oh, and you’re not helping either! :smiley:

1 Like

More power to you, Tim, and good luck with this endeavor!

It does, however, beg the question “why” and I am sure we all asked ourselves this first.

Did you notice what I very recently wrote in the GAS thread (maybe you are wisely avoiding that thread?) talking about my own GAS:

To be honest, there was also something else that pushed me to follow through: some soul searching over the holidays and some deep conversations about mortality and about pushing things off until it’s too late; along with some unfortunate reminders of how things can end unexpectedly and way too early in recent months (in my personal sphere and beyond).

Just some food for thought :smile:

This is, of course the interesting bit :grin: - what does this mean exactly? (Any lawyers present??)

So, if your better halve gifted you a bass, you’d turn it down??? Or, if you won one in BassBuzz’s first ever bass giveaway, you’d pass it on to me!?!

2 Likes

Thanks! Truth be told, I need all the encouragement I can get. The last 2 years have been spent buying basses more often than I change clothes, I think. The “GAS drive” became more important than the questions of whether I should, or whether I could afford it.

The long and short of it is finances. I’ve spent an absolute shit-ton of money in the last 2 years on basses, and when I sell them it’s always at a loss. I can’t spend the money anymore, and I have to learn to be happy with what I have (which are 2 great basses I think anyone would be happy to own).

I did. :slight_smile:

Ideally, this means that no new (actual new, new to me, or - just for the peanut gallery - re-bought formerly owned basses) will come into my house by my hands.

If my GF bought me a bass, I would happily accept it with tears of joy. Same with a giveaway or prize bass. That said, I have rotten luck with contests and sweepstakes and those sorts of things, so I probably wouldn’t enter anyway. :smiley:

1 Like

I think most of us - well, apart from the true collectors - go through a phase, where we try all kinds of basses in order to find “the one”. Noodling on one in the store (if you even have one close by) is not going to help; we need to play for longer with them, understand what it is we like about certain basses and hate about others. It’s a process that can take several years. It’s also a somewhat costly process (not least because the basses tend to become more expensive along the way), but it is almost the only way I know to arrive at instruments we truly like, appreciate and feel comfortable with.

I think I am close… hopefully, you are too :smile:

Best and most legit reason! I try to keep the music/bass budget “lockdown-isolated” from the home/life budget (or, vice versa). Otherwise, it can indeed be a slippery slope…

At the end of the day, we’d all be better off playing more and gassing less :grin:
Good luck and enjoy your two chosen ones!!

1 Like

Do what’s best for you, always. If that means not buying another bass, so be it.

But as @joergkutter, it’s about soul-searching and determining what will bring the most joy to life, finances permitting.

GAS is fun, silly, expensive, trivial, and vitally important for taking the next breath - depending on life’s circumstances. It’s just not necessary.

2 Likes

I think I’m pretty darned close. Close enough that I can spend this coming year looking at my two keepers instead of Reverb.

2 Likes

It’s funny because that body shape was the part about it I liked :rofl:

1 Like

I find myself fancying new stuff or reading/watching gear review when I can’t play much.
It’s the same for most of my current or past hobbies (cycling, climbing, trekking, airsoft, whatever). I definitely like the gear/geeky/technical side of all activities, but at the same time for me it’s mostly a way to compensate not doing it :sweat_smile:

Also, as I wrote somewhere else, buying a second hand bass and repairing and modding it was a great way to understand better how a bass works and what I like or don’t in my tone. The same thing for the cube lx. In that sense, the GAS was actually a learning experience.

Perhaps you’re beyond this phase already, in that case I wish you a year rich of satisfactions playing what you’ve got, without impulsive purchases and warped necks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like