Sticking to a Single Bass Syndrome (SSBS)

Sounds good to me. The only reason I have two is because my acoustic sits beside my chair for quick convenience. Also, it’s not really worth enough to sell.

If I had it to do over I would replace the acoustic with a short scale acoustic to make it even more convenient and one day I would like to design my own bass just to have done it once.

Other than that, I don’t feel any burning need to be a collector. My life is pretty minimalistic. If I’m not going to use something I would rather sell it or pass it on to someone who can use it.

4 Likes

No no, “just” was relative there, I meant my BB734A :slight_smile:

It’s been a few months now.

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

This sounds like the reasoning of the local people I talked to (no shipping involved) and I was throwing in a hard shell case, padded strap, and tuner. In the end nobody gets it and I have a back up Bass :grinning:

2 Likes

I bought and sold mine for the same price (€ 175).

3 Likes

I turned a slight profit on one of my Warwicks and on my Pacifica :slight_smile:

The Warwick was technically new but steeply discounted as a floor model, and I got a great price selling it. The Pacifica I bought used for a great price and sold it for more.

2 Likes

I tried to do the same on my TRBX304, but then this kid (~16 yo) turned up and my bottom price was obviously equal to his budget limit, so I thought, why the h*ll not.

7 Likes

Yes, it is hard to sell “beginner’s basses”, mainly because there is so much on the market. I have a beginner bass worth (on paper) perhaps 300 dollars, but it is almost not worth the effort to set up an ad, deal with people maybe or maybe not interested, offering 100 dollars for it, potentially having to ship it and so on…

I plan to give/donate it to a local music school for the new semester… this is very likely much better than having it sit in my rack and not getting played :smile:

8 Likes

I am resonating a lot with the opinions here! I also thought that Cort A4 should have stayed in the beginning. Thinking that it would be at least useful for more modern stuff or the slapping…

But in the end I stopped playing it all together and did not even maintain it. So everytime I picked it up it needed a good setup and was feeling awkward all around…

A backup bass would be nice to take to a gig if I do those one day but as for now I don’t have the real estate for it…

I had to buy all three of my basses new from the shop for economical reasons. I had to ask for some payment plan each time… That is the white collar office worker life for you…

Now I am about to buy the Darkglass VU V2 Aux and I have the cash for it even but again sadly it is not available second hand where I live…

In the end I am destined to loose on resell… Better buy stuff that I wouldn’t want to sell :smiley:

3 Likes

I am a nightmare when it comes to multiple basses. But, over time, I have finally managed to settle. I’m the same with everything else (done it with synths) where I get various items on the subject we’re talking about, and then eventually stop buying and am happy with what I’ve got.

Saying all that - I am only using 1 bass at the moment for the band. So that gets used all the time for the band. When I’m at home, I have a cheap acoustic just to pick up and noodle on, and if I am in the music room/cave, then I just choose one of the others to noodle on just to savour all the different tones.

So, even though I have more than 1 bass, I predominantly only use the 1. So it can be done guys! If I can do it, you can too :smiley:

3 Likes

And which one would that be? :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

It’s a Fender Jazz. Because of the type/style of music we play, the jazz tone fits just right in the mix. Tried with a precision but it doesn’t quite sit as nicely as the jazz.

I did the B2B course on a jazz too - it just fits better for me overall really.

4 Likes

I would do the same for a reasonable price.

3 Likes

My TRBX304 with hard shell case, tuner and strap came out at around $750.00
I consider it an intermediate Bass in this price range but maybe I’m wrong.

I was asking $500 delivered. Most people would not budge from $300.

Here’s a laugh - One fellow that wanted my 304 for $250 ended up purchasing a Squier Mini Precision Bass and has contacted me again with an offer of $250 cash plus his new Squire. I told him the reason for selling the 304 is that I only want one Bass and for what he was offering I would still be $250 short and have a second Bass that is crap compared to the 304. I could understand a kid trying to pull this off but this guy was in his mid fifties. Takes all kinds. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve given so many instruments away to church’s, schools, and “my grandkids”, that it really don’t matter other than if any of those instruments can help develop interest in music and open doors for anyone to focus time on something constructive instead of something destructive,…. then it’s all worth it to me….

I’ve never sold or traded any of my musical instruments - and never will…. To me, music is something special, something that I like to share…. Please don’t get me wrong here cause I got no problem with anyone selling, trading, or anything else with their gear…. This is just me….

Guess I’ve always figured that if I were given a gift - even one that I paid for - why would I sell or trade it?…. There’s always someone out there that can make better use of something that I don’t wanna use anymore….

Believe me, the returns on investment are way more than 50% or even 100%….

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

That’s like people who like to shoot with only one focal length lens on their camera. Definitely not something I’d want to do, it feels too much like a tool box with only one screw driver in it… i like to have lots of options. I still “need” a Precisions Bass and a Jack Cassidy and maybe a Cort single cut multi scale, and a Dingwall… :smiley:

1 Like

it seems like you have grown accustomed to it, but i have to say I could never have an instrument I didn’t feel comfortable playing, no matter how it sounds?

2 Likes

That’s the catch actually. When you go to a music shop and try new basses you instinctively compare it to what you are used to play at home… And it feels strange, awkward kinda like trying someone else’s underwear! But here’s the deal. Vintera had an awesome feel to it and amazing looks. Stunning at its simplicity…

I tried many different instruments that day and always went back to Vintera for about 2 hours at the shop and then I went back home without buying it!

When I got my Vintera I was playing the thin and fast neck of my Cort A4 for over a year by then. Cort has an awesome build, it’s great value on paper for how much I paid for it even but when I got home it felt like a toy…

And then it hit me! I got back to the store next they and got the Vintera. And when I got used to the wider neck I couldn’t play the Cort more than 10 minutes any more…

My point would be if it plays uncomfortable at first but sounds and looks awesome, give it some more time, go back to the shop a couple of more times maybe…

2 Likes

that’s what I do :grin: I’m addicted to 24mm and I very rarely use any other focal length

3 Likes

24mm works great for Astrophotography and Landscapes. :+1:

1 Like