String gauge

Oh gosh!! Not a fan of adjusting the nut slots…

I’m also not a fan of this gauge, my other bass had the regular ones and I enjoyed a lot more.

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

So your D&G are kind of thinner and E&A are regular? Kind of a hybrid set?
(I’m using the Ernie Ball strings as a reference…)

Super Slinky

Hybrid Slinky

Regular Slinky

These Regular Slinky are the ones I prefer since the groove sounds so much better and just on rare occasions I play the upper notes…

Going from 100 to 105 should not require filing unless the nut was too tight to begin with. I have never had an issue on any bass (out of five) going from 100 to 105.

0.100 works just fine with Drop D though, no need to go to 0.105. I play in Drop D all the time with both and they are both fine.

2 Likes

I don’t think i have either now that you mention it.
It was the tapes (.110 or .115 I think they are) that caused an issue.

I like the 45-65-85-105s for three reasons…

1. Most every company makes this set.
  2. I hear the difference in an 80 to 85 A string. Something about the 85 feels better too.
  3. I also feel and hear a difference in the 105, at least to me.
3 Likes

Yeah the only things that have caused me a problem were going to BEAD (obviously needed filing), and going to Hooky’s signature string set with a 0.065 G string (literally broke my nut).

On the plus side, I am now super comfortable with working on guitar nuts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nuts are as un-scary as truss rods once you get into it.
I’ve refilled a couple now and easy peasy.
On that Squire I blacked out everything on, i realized the other day it still has a white nut.
So, ordered a TUSQ XL Black nut…first swapout, not scared anymore.

1 Like

Yeah it’s surprisingly easy.

I’m an idiot.

My black Jaguar has a white nut from the factory (why? they blacked everything else). I have a spare black Tusq nut for my Jazz. If I used any brain cells, I would have changed the nut on the Jag when I put on flats the other day.

2 Likes

If you’re careful you can change nuts without taking the strings off :slight_smile:

It’s just trickier. But you can get them loose enough to pop the old one off. I’d recommend looking for videos.

It’s fine, will be putting on a kickass bridge one day, will just do it then

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not having any problems with this set of 40-100, it’s just preference of tone and more lows that will make me change to 45-105 when it’s time to do so… in about 5 months probably, when the summer is finished here in Canada and I’m gonna get the free setup and change the strings

LOL :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I’ve no idea on how to change the nut if ever needed, since there’s no screw… Is this glued, or just sitting there??

1 Like

If it is done right, it is primarily held in place by the strings, with a small dab of glue holding it in place so it doesn’t fall off when you take the strings off. Should pop right off.

1 Like

hey, in my opinion a 100 string is ok for Drop-D but it’s a bit extreme, you can’t really go lower. also a 100 set with the E/D string replaced by a 105 should be ideal in my opinion.

6 Likes