String height to fretboard

I dig cheap. But look at the fender rumble series. The 25 is plenty gutsy for a first practice amp, and the 40 is not much more money for a pretty serious power gain.
You can probably find both used for a decent price, and it would be hard to go wrong with one.
Remember, my two cents is strictly an opinion-no one can tell you what will be right for you. It’s really just a feel thing-and if affordability plays into it, that’s ok. Many of us started on low budget used equipment.

Well it’s another type of strings.

Sorry it’s like asking do you like Coke or Pepsi?

Go on Youtube and look up “Setting Up Your Bass Guitar with John Carruthers.” One of the best set up vids I’ve ever seen and yes, it works great and it’s easy.

I’m installing new Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound pickups on my project p-bass. When trying to raise the pickup the pickup screw moves up but the pickup itself does not. How do I fix this? I have some foam under the pickups, maybe not enough…kevin

Some use springs, like you find in pens…

New foam, or more foam.
I always have P and J sized foam blocks in a drawer ready to go.
Over time, foam that worked gets compressed and when you try to reuse it it doesn’t spring back as well. I have used half height (cut) blocks and full size blocks.
You can find them on Amazon and on Stew Mac.
They are good to have around.

A lot of luthier’s seem to shy away from the springs.
They do sell larger diameter and more appropriate springs made for the job.
Not sure why some don’t like them.
I don’t care for them because they can move around as you are setting them and touch poles, or even maybe cut into the pickup etc.

The pen springs could be used on the screws, but not with all pickup/cover types.
You may be raising the cover but not the pickup if used on the wrong pickup config.

Forgot one great option: my EMG pickups came with little rubber tubes. You just put the screws through them and they feel better than the previous foam solution…

They look like the black/red tubes in the upper right corner of this pic:

Thanks. I am trying more foam.