Success!

omg I got through the full Billie Jean riff on slow without missing a note!! I feel like a mini badass with this accomplishment!!! :smiley:

14 Likes

That is indeed a tough number. Congratulations!

5 Likes

Nice!!!

3 Likes

Well done! thatā€™s excellent. Thatā€™s a finger twister for sure.

Man that riff. It ends up being such a good technique practice riff. In fact I still use it as part of my main practice every day, and recently I have noticed I am getting sloppy and it is sounding bad when I play it (basically Iā€™ve developed a buzzy pinky roll on it.) So, back to half speed with it for a while until I fix that. But amazing to me that it is still useful on a daily basis :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Great!!..had the same feeling first time I got thru Not Fragile by B.T.O. and itā€™s a lot more simpleā€¦but still for a beginner it made me feel like a real musicianā€¦heh

3 Likes

Thanks everybody! Iā€™m working on Module 5, string crossings now. Challenging for my shorty fingers but every practice session feels better. I like Joshā€™s dance moves for the 80s tune. :slight_smile: That string jump with eighth notes has been messy for me. Iā€™m better at the funk riff. Not sure which riff has been my favorite so farā€¦ I love so many of themā€¦ the ska riff rocks! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well done! and yeah I really like the cross-section of music Josh picked for the lessons too!

3 Likes

I was in some ways already beyond that level when I started the course (I took a deliberate step back and feel rewarded by it) but of course I was playing what I wanted, not what was prescribed, so I didnā€™t come up against anything too challenging.

Billie Jean has me stumped! I manage a few bars, even at fast pace, but then just as my mind says ā€œIā€™ve got this!ā€ my fingers say ā€œOh you think so, huh?ā€ and it falls apart. My only consolation is that Iā€™m able to pick it up again within a few notes without stumbling too much, so Iā€™m obviously following something properly.

Itā€™s that 1st-2nd cross, isnā€™t it? Finger roll, index/middle finger, fast single finger cross? Even @JoshFossgreen admits to changing the technique randomly, and thatā€™s whatā€™s happening to me. I suspect the secret is to keep working through those first few notes dozens of times until it feels right, then move on.

8 Likes

As Jedi Josh may have said; ā€œNote: Temporary jump up in difficulty this song is, stretch your ability to the max it will. Struggle with the slow workout you may. Fine that is ā€“ your best you must do and moving forward you must keep.ā€

6 Likes

Ditto that, @PeteP . . . even after a few months, Iā€™m still having problems . . . :slight_smile:

Maybe itā€™ll take a few years . . . ?

Good old Billie Jean . . . :laughing:

4 Likes

Maybe it doesnā€™t really exist and so we will never master it. Wasnā€™t it actually two bass lines on the track, or a harmonic, or something else completely impossible.

2 Likes

I like that ska riff a lot too - itā€™s a fun one to play as well!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve just done that lesson and I have to say I loved it too. IT really helps when itā€™s a genre that you connect with, doesnā€™t it?

3 Likes

There seems to be some debate over the original recorded bass line.

1. There is a keyboard playing an F one octave lower over the first note.
    orā€¦
  2. The bassist is playing the lower octave F on the first fret E string at the same time as the first note.

Either way, there is a low F in there. I havenā€™t dug into it to find out which one is true. It may just be a vehicle for people to make YouTube videos with inflammatory titles like, ā€œYouā€™ve Been Playing It All Wrong: Billie Jean Edition!ā€

6 Likes