Sudden HUGE progress on Billie Jean. Here's how

At which speed can you confidently do it? And what exactly is it that goes to pot when you attempt it at a higher speed?

My suggestion would be to, if you can confidently do it at, say, 60BPM, to then up the speed – with small steps, but big enough to just take you out of your comfort zone, and then practice at that speed.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

I bought a new mic today to use on my dSLR to make videos. Now it turns out my dSLR is disintegrating (it’s an el cheapo backup, so no biggie… but the Alpha Male dSLR doesn’t do video). I’ll have a replacement on Tuesday.
When that’s done, I can record some demo material of how I did it.

4 Likes

Oh I can play Billie Jean at full speed. I mean playing it with the octave on the first note. It’s uncomfortable enough that I don’t really want to right now :slight_smile:

Starting slow and speeding up is excellent advice though.

Tutorial :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very interesting…and I have noticed a lot of the old Motown, Funky, Soul bass players of the 60’s and 70’s do this… (play with their thumb on the E string that is).

3 Likes

Yeah. I tried it, super uncomfortable for me, and not in a “this will be a fun challenge!” kind of way; moved on.

2 Likes

If I play this song downstairs (on bookshelf speakers with a reasonable low end), or on my computer (with a decent 2.1 setup), I hear it as only the lower F# (which is what I thought it was).

Whem I play this over my stereo (media center, Sony ES D/a converter and amp, Focal 716V floorstanding speakers), I can actually hear it as being both. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Do you play the octave higher on the pattern shift up as well? With the thumb too?

1 Like

No, and I am pretty sure Marcelo is playing it slightly wrong too, because I think it’s only on the first note of the pattern, not every F#.

2 Likes

Where do you find this Rocksmith that you are talking about and also tell me more about the pedal, who makes it and how to use it. Thanks

2 Likes

I like that - I personally “hear” the high F# on the original recording but also thought I was hearing it lower… This totally explains why! Love the 2-note octave (root note) trick, plan to practice this for sure, seems like a neat way to avoid the need for a 5th string (in some cases)?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @primmeric. Check your Private Messages…Ill send you info there!

1 Like

Haha! I remember seeing this thread when I was in the earlier modules, humming right along and thinking, “what’s the big deal?” Then I got there and hit a wall. Something about the left hand fingering seems unintuitive and then the right hand going middle-index that has made this one devilishly difficult for me. I will persevere.

4 Likes

Hmm, not sure what this would have to do with a 5-string - can you elaborate? This is just a normal octave pattern that he happens to fret with his thumb.

This would actually be physically impossible for me on my 5. I suspect it would be a long reach on a 5 even for @JoshFossgreen :slight_smile:

Even on my 4 string with a narrow neck, this was not fun for me.

3 Likes

I think it’s very common one to see in “beginner’s bass songs” on Youtube and I’ve found private teachers have been quick to teach it (although in their case I think that might be because they knew little of bass and googled those “beginner’s bass songs” videos!).

It’s also in the Grade 1 song list for the Trinity board in the UK (which is their most basic grade unless you count the “Initial” grade).

I think its a bit of an odd phenomena personally as I its pretty tough and a recipe for hand-cramp! Again looking at the Trinity exams, the others in the same grade are vastly easier (much slower and less complex) for example: “Just Looking” by Stereophonics, “Learn to Fly” by Foo Fighters, “Mull of Kintyre” by Wings. The grade actually requires you to play either Billie Jean or “Labelled with Love” by Squeeze - there’s no comparison for me, the only difficulty with the latter is managing to play along with the incredibly depressing lyrics!

4 Likes

Interesting. All of their setlists seem a real mix of difficulty.

1 Like

@peterhuppertz this post will take you back in time :slightly_smiling_face: I think worth bring back for noobs like me as there is such great information.
:guitar: :ghost: :guitar:

2 Likes

I agree that this is a great way to practice. To be honest I don’t know any other way. If even the slow workout is too fast for me I usually pluck it out of rythm until it feels comfortable enough.
Using a even slower drumbeat might even be more effective but I would still only add it after feeling comfortable fretting out of rythm. I want to take the time to make sure I set my fingers down correctly without any kind of time pressure.
Additionally I leave out everything that might throw me off as long as it’s not a bad habit technique-wise. For example when starting with the Slap&Pop exercise in Module 13 I played the same note in the last bar in the beginning instead of switching. It was no problem to add in after I actually felt comfortable playing the rest.

Sometimes I also get a bit over eager, but then I return to the slower workouts. The cleaner and more relaxed one is able to play slow the easier the faster speeds become.

What was it again?
“The way to playing fast is learning to play slow and then get faster.”

I feel like Josh is saying that and variations of it over and over again and I can understand why. I am already astonished how good one can set the pace in B2B overall but there will always be some wrinkle or hurdle that needs some extra work and without 1on1 teaching you have to observe yourself (and be honest to yourself).

@JoshFossgreen
I already left the comment when I was at that stage in the course - I loved being challenged at that state. I understand that it can throw people off. I still think it is fine. I recognized it as something of a challenge that I can/should return to at a later date.
Also don’t dismiss the bonding that happens in the community over this song! It has become something that everyone who has taken the B2B course can relate to.
So apart from the feedback that it is just too hard at that point in the course I think there are also some arguments to be made for leaving such a challenge in there.

4 Likes

Try that on a 5 string :thinking:

1 Like

@peterhuppertz I never got to medium, completed slow and I ran on not looking back. I’ll add it to my notes for BJ :sunglasses: I’m savouring the thought of coming up against Billie Jean, the lover that doesn’t leave my head :rofl:
I’ve noticed that I find it easier on the wide P-bass neck. Again Peter many thanks for your help AGAIN :slight_smile: It’s great when someone has walked the same path before you and shares their journey for us to follow.
Jamie

3 Likes

I just started B2B and was progressing at a clip that would have taken me past the finish line well before Day 30 - until Billie Jean. I was so confident that I was beginning to wonder about the possibility of finishing the course before the DVDs even arrive.
I too, have fallen prey to this song.
This too is my first ‘meta-learning’ bass line as well, where I have to ‘learn how to learn’ how to play it. Starting out at a low BPM will be my approach as well. No rush.

6 Likes

You are not alone. Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress

3 Likes