Tab/Sheet Software?

Um, yes they do.

Don’t confuse “shitty tabs” with “tabs” :slight_smile:
Both Songsterr and UG (premium) provide this.

Tablature actually provides more information than standard notation, not less.

Look, I prefer standard notation. But I have been able to read music for 40 years. I can totally get why someone that hasn’t had that experience would want tablature, and a whole lot more people read tab than sheet music - to the point that the amount of sheet music available for bass is negligible, for most genres.

3 Likes

There you go.
Sounds like some people in my jam groups and there’s nothing the matter with that.

I could care less whether they are reading standard notation or TAB.
By supplying both at least they are playing and that is the most important thing in the end.

Can you imagine telling those 4 young Bassists that they MUST learn to read music.
I know some music teachers that do teach this way.

You can almost see the enthusiasm go flying out the window, and probably the Basses shortly thereafter :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Tab is “paint by number”. If that’s how you play, so be it.

Tab is yet another means for communicating music in written form, and will reach orders of magnitude more people than sheet music. I don’t know about you, but I am not one to ignore the ability and availability of tools to communicate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This made my day.

I can see you and I would get along great in a jam session. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Again, if tab is your thing and that’s how you want to play music, I’m okay with it. I prefer to be my own artist and play the notes as they best suit me and the tune, rather than the way some unknown person is instructing me. You all know me: I’m an independent person and do not abide being led by the nose. I removed those training wheels midway through the B2B course, but if you want to continue to use them, I won’t interfere.
Rock on!

Yes I do but that would just drive this topic way off course.
Remember the topic where we were talking about minor keys/scales and I brought up parallel minor scales. What a minefield that turned into :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, there are many of those around here, and I try to avoid them :smiley_cat:

1 Like

This has become a very lively and interesting conversation. Aren’t you glad you asked this question @Otty? :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I told them the first time around that they should not read and play. It’s a terrible way to express yourself through the instrument and they, yes all, we’re clueless of what they are playing in relation to others. One kid play half a measure early and stay like that til the end. Another just buried his nose on in the sheet and never looked up.

The following song(s) I gave them the chords and the music told them they have a week to figure out the note, they got the fills wrong but they are more engaging and more awareness. They don’t need notations or theory, they need strong, nimble fingers, staying in the pocket and strong sense of situation awareness. Sh!t goes wrong all the time on stage, last thing you want is to be the only fool without a clue.

2 Likes

haha, I’m about 10 minutes from continuing on beginner’s M2-L4. You guys just carry right on down those rabbit holes… I have playing to do :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As soon as I saw @John_E say that I thought Oh Oh @howard is gonna get him for that statement.
Don’t worry @John_E I stepped off that same cliff a couple of weeks back and had never seen the type of TAB @howard was talking about.

Whatever keeps people playing is good as far as I am concerned. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edited to add: @howard Why isn’t most TAB written like that. It would make things so much easier?

Hopefully his question was answered to his/her satisfaction :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Going to give it some days as I get a little better, then probably Guitar Pro just because it has lots of how-to videos… I’d rather lose a little money and end up with something different later than 42 hours that is worth even more money and play time.
But I definitely did get great answers and have a way forward. Thanks to everyone!

1 Like

You’re welcome. We all have varied opinions about things, and different points of view, regardless, we are all here to help you. Take every comment and every opinion as a grain of salt and put it into your shaker. Only you can determine what is best for you.
Rock on @Otty

You’re welcome and thanks for letting us know.

OK back to trying to convert @PamPurrs to @howard’s form of TAB :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

ba1c5c50dcee7d9e8f424cda70c93e64dd7510790c7039002f549d5c962787ff.0

1 Like

Most are the shitty variety, esp when free.
This is why I like Constantine’s scores, they have the sheetmusic too.
I also never understood the little lines under the rests. At that point just learn the notes.

I know it takes longer, and I still use tabs too, but they are actually starting to get in the way.

You learn a song faster if you know what note you need and where to get it vs. memorizing patterns once you can read. And to me the song makes more sense when read “oh, I go back to an Eb here, makes sense” is more meaninful “oh I go back to 6 on the second string up”.

2 Likes

:+1: @John_E

Yeah, I rarely see those cause I don’t pay for tabs in those premium services. Even they are wrong most of the time, why pay for wrong when you can get it for free.

2 Likes