Talk Strings with Me!

…and here i thought it was interplanetary gravity…
Turns out its those round wound people!
…learn something new every day.

5 Likes

:laughing: @John_E you are so funny!

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Gravity is in fact powered by D’Addario. Don’t forget the tip jar.

The Inquisition: (whack!) So you say the earth revolves around the sun?
Galileo: Yes, that is correct!
The Inquisition: (whack!) Are you sure you don’t want to change your answer? (Whack!) What about bass strings?
Galileo: It’s true, it’s true! Roundwound bass strings are the primal force driving the universe, but the public is not ready for that information!

5 Likes

Sigh!

I’m afraid this thread is heading into that so familiar “round world / flat world” debate, so I’ll say it again:

If you like rounds, play them
If you like flats, play them
If you like tapes, play them
Just play

2 Likes

I will gladly debate round wound / flat wound, but there is no such thing as a “round world’ / flat world” debate. This ‘debate’ is more properly called “fact / absolute crap”

4 Likes

It’s just an expression

1 Like

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

2 Likes

True, but the killer bunny rabbit (with huge, vicious pointy teeth) was not really a surprise.

2 Likes

Pepsi is definitely better than Chevy, but Ford is better than Coke

1 Like

Ford bought and then proceeded to completely ruin Landrover. For this they should be shot. I think they also destroyed Saab.

Sad times.

1 Like

I bet the flat earthers drink coke, play rounds and drive fords.

3 Likes

I drink beer, play flats, and drive a Chevy

3 Likes

No debate, just me having some fun. In my particular circumstance playing with my garage band, flats get lost in the mix. With a drummer, two guitars, and a slightly underpowered PA (when we use it), I need the zing and cut of roundwounds. If I had my druthers, I’d put La Bella Deep Talkin’ 105s on my P-bass, but they just don’t work for my situation.

2 Likes

Ho nooooooo I bring the spanish inquisition back :’( I’m innocent :smiley:

I didn’t expected to relaunch the debate flat/roundwound… I just wanted to share my own experience and feeling :slight_smile: I’m maybe a strange guy, I like coffee AND tea, Star wars AND Star Trek, beer AND cocktail, Belgian and I DON’T like chocolate, round and flatwound…

@LeftyChad If you really want to play flat with your band, the cobalt my be a solution as they a closer to roundwound (with my experience). ANd don’t forget that Steve Harris from Iron Maiden play with flat :wink:

2 Likes

Hopefully on topic here…just ordered la bella 760m’s to upgrade from 760fls…is the resetup going to drastic or could i live with the intonation problems until i can get around to getting a set up done. Im happy as with the FLs but want to see what the Ms are like…

1 Like

I have the Ms on my 61 P bass for that Motown thump, which those strings have in spades.
My only watch out is the Ms give you a very specific sound vs. the FS, at least in my experience.
You may have to do some nut work to get the strings to sit in the slots properly as they are thicker. If they don’t fit in the slots (they might, depends on how much wiggle room) tuning and action heights may both be issues.

1 Like

Cool, thanks! I’ll look into the cobalts.
And Steve Harris doesn’t have to deal with a homeowners association :roll_eyes:. He gets to turn up a little more than I do.

3 Likes

I just finished my very first string change. I went from the ones that came on my Fender Aerodyne to a set of La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats and I was blown away by the differences. These new strings are as smooth as a baby’s bottom and they sound so much better too. They don’t make that buzzing sound when you slide your fingers from one fret to the next. I finally know what kind of sound my bass is capable of.

7 Likes

When I went from the rounds that were on my Vintage VJ74 to my Fender Flats, I was also blown away by the smoothness of the string and the burpy tones with no buzz. I am thinking to get LaBella LTF’s for my LTD B50 FM and I truly think they will wake that bass up. I may be a “flats for all” guy as time goes.

3 Likes