Talk Strings with Me!

I guess I’ll see…looking forward to them arriving…I love the Motown thump…

4 Likes

His Rotosound signature strings are supposed to be pretty bright…

2 Likes

And fairly porky at 50 to 110 (I think).

3 Likes

Are Nickel wound and Nickel string the same thing? Sorry for the noob question. The back of the D’Addario packs seem to suggest they are two different things. Also I am looking for for a mellow sound. It appears from my research that I should be looking at Chrome or Nickel strings? Am I on the right track?

2 Likes

Nickel is the string winding material. “roundwound” is the type of string winding.

There can be nickel roundwounds or flatwounds. Or other winding styles.

2 Likes

Mellow to me mean flats. cannot comment D’Addario as I don’t use them.
For flats, if you go that route, i reco La Bella 760FS

2 Likes

Fender flats are great and the side bonus is they are much cheaper than most. But that doesn’t mean they sound cheap. To me they sound outstanding and play so well.

3 Likes

Had the 760Ms on for about a month. Hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew. The step up in strength required is amazing and the fretting has to be spot on as well or a lot of buzz. I always thought my pinky was reasonably strong??? The sound is good though. I guess I’ll plug away for a while then decide whether to go back to the FSs.

Hmmm, I don’t find this.
Maybe adjust setup?

The only issue I found was muting the bigger E string took a bit more fortitude.

1 Like

I should say the buzzing is when i lose the downward pressure when fretting. So much more strength required i reckon. Admittedly when i did the setup it is borderline low. I did the truss rod 3 times. I could barely play with the higher action so kept tightening it. Im getting more comfortable with them every day.

I pulled mine out (have to say I have not played it in a bit, been rotating through other basses, and it did take a bit more effort to fret after all.
Can’t be as sloppy when you need more force.

1 Like

Update on my string journey. Have just replaced my Fender Squire P Bass 25 year old strings with D’Addario Chromes. A-MAZE-BALLS.

3 Likes

I just ordered these for my Frank Bello ESP.
GHS seems to be the only string manufacturer that makes BEAD sets. Someone mentioned in another thread that they had ordered a set, but I can’t recall who it was or what thread it was in. I haven’t seen any follow up on it, so I’m just going to take a chance on them.

1 Like

What most people do is order a 5 string set of their favorite strings and just throw the G string in a drawer.

2 Likes

I’ve got a set, haven’t got around to putting them on a bass yet. Too much going on lol.

2 Likes

That must have been you that posted about them, that’s where I got the idea.
I’m going to toss them onto my ESP and see what I think. I’ll let everyone know, but keep in mind I’m not a round wound person so my opinion may not be the most reliable.

1 Like

Yes indeed @howard , and I’ve got plenty of sets of 5 string flats laying around that I could use. But I wanted to use rounds, and these are cheaper than buying a full set.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I just said that… can you @howard??? LOL

2 Likes

That’s okay, I’ve ordered a set of LaBella’s for my Survivor 87 when she gets here. A bit out of my zone too

1 Like