Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

If you build it, they will come…

Cool, you created the thread.
I saw this in my YT subscriber new videos yesterday, but have not watched it yet.
I did his Slap Bass Challenge on his website, or I did some of it, like 12 or 13 of them so, I will go back and complete it at some point.
Once I watch this video, chances are I will start doing it.

3 Likes
7 Likes

These are fun! It’s like eating your vegetables, good for you!

3 Likes

Peter Gun, hun.
Nice.

2 Likes

That one might be good on its own thread.
I have done some of that one, it is challenging for sure.

1 Like

Recording yourself sure keeps things honest. Gotta work on string noise, and the groove!

1 Like

Looks like it’s just you and me @T_dub!
This one was a finger workout! Great exercise to improve stamina and dexterity.

1 Like

Yeah, looks really good, you played it well.

1 Like

Chilling on a Saturday watching Fútbol and playing my bass!

2 Likes

Nice lax weekend with grooves

2 Likes

Not so lax…It’s 2:37 AM where I’m at and I’m working. Looks like it’s going to be a long night.

1 Like

Yeah, only 11:40 here :grinning:

But the night is young. I am just eating dinner and getting ready for a long night of practice / chord tone lessons / jamming and Recoeding covers.

Wait, no scratch that last part. My dumb ass IMac took a dump last night. Probably hard drive, maybe ram, idk. I am gonna take it to a place I do, and have them give me like $100 credit to trade it back in exchange for a little newer one, that shouldn’t cost more then $150ish out the door with the trade.
Then I have time machine back ups from 2 days ago, so it should wrk for another 2 years or so.

Really sucks too.
I had some help getting songs to cover, the tracks with the bass removed like 3 days ago.

I only got to cover Seasons in the Abyss.
Still have
Iron Man
Mouth for War
And
For Whom the Bells Toll
Left, and I wanted to do one last night, and the other tonight.
I can’t ever get GB on my IPad working well, so, unless I get that figured, no covers from me for a bit.

1 Like

Practice after midnight. You’re a night owl! :smile:
Usually at that time I’m dreaming I’m playing bass! lol

1 Like

Yeah, I like my night time.
Bass Buzz, Talking Bass, my Basses, and nobody I else calling, texting, knocking, nothing. It is beautiful.

I play til tired, and sometimes, it is so late / early, I stay up, do my morning, then have a nice long afternoon nap.
That way I sleep then all the calls, texts, knocks :wink::joy:

2 Likes

I had to turn on the afterburners on this one! :sweat:

2 Likes

Well you nailed that!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Really good job.
You nailed it, and your getting strong with keeping the other strings from ringing out, so your notes come thru clean.
Good work.

1 Like

Ok, am way behind you, but I can catch up quick.
Well, if I can figure out this video and audio stuff that is.
I was getting ready to try it on my IMac, and then it died, and I am down to my Ipad.
I figured out GB on the Ipad, and can put out a tune, but I can’t record the video in camera or photo booth, at the same time if I am recording in GB.

This string noise, and ambient noise from recording like this, umm, well, it just plain sucks.

I am thinking I am going to have to end up recording Garage Band on the Ipad, like normal, and then do the video on my Camera, then open IMovie project with the video, and then bring in the audio track.
Sounds Simple,but I bet there is a big learning curve that I am about to be going thru.

The one goo about the IMac dying is, and the only goo thing, because I much prefer to work on an actual desktop, where I can run multiple programs at once, and switch back n forth between them,
BUT
The Garage Band and I movie and all the Apps on my phone and Ipad are the newest versions, and on the IMac, they were way outdated versions, so even tho, it is gonna suck using my Ipad for most everything, I think I may end up with better quality productions overall, once I learn how.

So, here is me, in the Camera App, shooting video.
I had TalkingBass opened on my phone so I could play the backing track. Wouldn’t’ you know it, my Amp doesn’t have Aux in (why would it, it is 30 years old, and even with no AUX, I still love it)
So I just sat it next to the Ipad, so it picked up the sound thru the mic, as it did my bass and strings noise, damn it…
It’s not the type of noise that transfers thru the amp, but you sure hear it in the ambient background.

When I figure it out, that will go away, but bare with me thru the first few lessons here.

So, @RuknRole
You are no longer on a solo project.

2 Likes

Challenge #2

This is my Pete Wentz Signature Squire, plugged into my Zoom B1-Four in bypass mode (tuner) into my SWR WorkingMan 10 combo amp

Next I am going to pull out my Ray4, I din’t think the strings will be as clunky on it, and they are brand new, so they will record well.

Oh yeah, reason I went thru the Zoom initially was so I could amplify the backing tracks, because the Zoom has an Aux in.
But guess what, no Aux on either of my phones (fuck you very much apple) so that idea was all for naught.

Anyway, playing is find, but the ambient string noise really bugs me when it actually gets recorded.
I can listen to it while I play plugged in or not, and it doesn’t bother me, but when you are recording thru an open mic, in a quiet room and it picks up the slight clanking of the strings, it just bothers me a bit.

Number 2
Enjoy, but don’t laugh too hard.

3 Likes