Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

Ok, am way behind you, but I can catch up quick.
Well, if I can figure out this video and audio stuff that is.
I was getting ready to try it on my IMac, and then it died, and I am down to my Ipad.
I figured out GB on the Ipad, and can put out a tune, but I can’t record the video in camera or photo booth, at the same time if I am recording in GB.

This string noise, and ambient noise from recording like this, umm, well, it just plain sucks.

I am thinking I am going to have to end up recording Garage Band on the Ipad, like normal, and then do the video on my Camera, then open IMovie project with the video, and then bring in the audio track.
Sounds Simple,but I bet there is a big learning curve that I am about to be going thru.

The one goo about the IMac dying is, and the only goo thing, because I much prefer to work on an actual desktop, where I can run multiple programs at once, and switch back n forth between them,
BUT
The Garage Band and I movie and all the Apps on my phone and Ipad are the newest versions, and on the IMac, they were way outdated versions, so even tho, it is gonna suck using my Ipad for most everything, I think I may end up with better quality productions overall, once I learn how.

So, here is me, in the Camera App, shooting video.
I had TalkingBass opened on my phone so I could play the backing track. Wouldn’t’ you know it, my Amp doesn’t have Aux in (why would it, it is 30 years old, and even with no AUX, I still love it)
So I just sat it next to the Ipad, so it picked up the sound thru the mic, as it did my bass and strings noise, damn it…
It’s not the type of noise that transfers thru the amp, but you sure hear it in the ambient background.

When I figure it out, that will go away, but bare with me thru the first few lessons here.

So, @RuknRole
You are no longer on a solo project.

2 Likes

Challenge #2

This is my Pete Wentz Signature Squire, plugged into my Zoom B1-Four in bypass mode (tuner) into my SWR WorkingMan 10 combo amp

Next I am going to pull out my Ray4, I din’t think the strings will be as clunky on it, and they are brand new, so they will record well.

Oh yeah, reason I went thru the Zoom initially was so I could amplify the backing tracks, because the Zoom has an Aux in.
But guess what, no Aux on either of my phones (fuck you very much apple) so that idea was all for naught.

Anyway, playing is find, but the ambient string noise really bugs me when it actually gets recorded.
I can listen to it while I play plugged in or not, and it doesn’t bother me, but when you are recording thru an open mic, in a quiet room and it picks up the slight clanking of the strings, it just bothers me a bit.

Number 2
Enjoy, but don’t laugh too hard.

3 Likes

He appears! Now I finally know what you look like man!
Well done on this, looked easy.
Sounded fine man

2 Likes

Thanks John.
Sorry to scare you with my looks, sorry to all, but this is me with dead knees, can’t be active, so I wear an extra 90lbs like a tshirt. It feels horrible, I can’t wait to be able to surf and bike and snowboard the extra fat away, its getting harder and harder to live like this, its been about 2 years already, and won’t get bettter until I can go out and melt it away thru strenuous activity.

Yeah, number 1, its peter Gunn. Not very difficult, but the string noise from recording to the Ipad mic is what drives me nuts.

I am gonna be figuring out a better recording set up, gonna have to set up full on GB and record into it.
Use my Phone for viddeo, with the mic off, then open the video in IMovie and then import the music track, and hopefully I will be able to align them correctly.

I am stoked if it works, its been a long time coming.
And once I get if figured, probably will be easier then I had thought for a long time.
But my old IMac didn’t have iMovie, and old GB, so it was trickier to do it on that IMac. It is just a desktop pc or laptop even fells so much more comfortable to work on IMO.

1 Like

Allright @T_dub, glad to have you onboard! Sounds good to me! You played it like a total pro without even looking at the fretboard. Good job!

Now we need to get @John_E to join us!

1 Like

I wasn’t feeling it today. My hands felt really sluggish for some reason. I also didn’t mute too well, and had some open A string ringing in there. Oh well, c’est la vie!

1 Like

Him too, but really, I just need to catch up

1 Like

Maybe, I got enough problems over here right now, haha.
If I can get a bit ahead on my cover work and the slap course i might do to join you.

2 Likes

Open a thread! Maybe I get motivated and join you!

1 Like

Ok, since I am limited to IPad, after IMac taking a dump, I decided to get a little more professional.

I ordered a tripod stand that will hold my IPad about 48 inches off the ground when fully extended, WITH a clip on IPhone bracket.

The plan is to set up my audio (bass to DAI to IPad) so that I am not using ambient room recording, and can eliminate those stupid string clacks.

Then shoot video on my IPhone, but turn the mic off, so it is video only.

Then, I hope it is as simple as opening the video in IMovie, and importing the wav or mp3 that I export from GB, into the IMovie project, and then figure out how to align the two, so the sound matches the video.

If there is a better / easier way (without investing in extra equipment) please let me know.

I mean, ideal would be to get that Zoom video camera that has the XLR input, so you can make an audio and video file in real time, but I don’t have that sort of change to throw around right now.
Maybe If I score big on flipping that Peavey Cirrus, but not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Leave the mic on on the iPhone so it is easier to visually sync the audio tracks later. Then mute or delete the iPhone audio in iMovie.

At least that is what I would do with final cut.

2 Likes

Ok, good to know, thanks.

1 Like

I am still lagging behind.

I actually did up to 10 just checking them out.
Pretty achievable so far, but I still need to record.

Still have not set up everything DAI to GB, recording video on phone, editing in IMovie, etc…. Yet, and wanted to just test out the new tripod and capture video the old fashioned way.

Not really happy with the bass volume, and I had the amp up much louder then you would think.

But, here is number 3.
Would do a few more, but it is so hot in here today, I need all the fans blasting, and turning them off for recording, I still start sweating.

Maybe I will bust out 3 or 4 tonight when it cools down.

So, #3
If you can hear it. Headphones help

2 Likes

Nice @T_dub! I could hear it just fine!
I’ve been lagging too. Redirected my efforts to record the Kansas - Wayward Son cover the last few days. But it’s all good, it’s not a race, and there’s no schedule or time frame.

This one is tough due to the pinky roll. I need to work some more on making sure only one string is ringing during the roll.

No video on this one. I didn’t feel like putting that much effort into it today.

Sounded good man!

1 Like

Thanks John!

Debuting the Ray34 with Groove #9.

4 Likes

Number 10.

1 Like

Number 11 builds on the hammer-on technique from the last groove and adds string crossing. It was a forearm workout!

This one sounds a bit like in the style of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal”.

2 Likes