Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

Ok, since I am limited to IPad, after IMac taking a dump, I decided to get a little more professional.

I ordered a tripod stand that will hold my IPad about 48 inches off the ground when fully extended, WITH a clip on IPhone bracket.

The plan is to set up my audio (bass to DAI to IPad) so that I am not using ambient room recording, and can eliminate those stupid string clacks.

Then shoot video on my IPhone, but turn the mic off, so it is video only.

Then, I hope it is as simple as opening the video in IMovie, and importing the wav or mp3 that I export from GB, into the IMovie project, and then figure out how to align the two, so the sound matches the video.

If there is a better / easier way (without investing in extra equipment) please let me know.

I mean, ideal would be to get that Zoom video camera that has the XLR input, so you can make an audio and video file in real time, but I don’t have that sort of change to throw around right now.
Maybe If I score big on flipping that Peavey Cirrus, but not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Leave the mic on on the iPhone so it is easier to visually sync the audio tracks later. Then mute or delete the iPhone audio in iMovie.

At least that is what I would do with final cut.

2 Likes

Ok, good to know, thanks.

1 Like

I am still lagging behind.

I actually did up to 10 just checking them out.
Pretty achievable so far, but I still need to record.

Still have not set up everything DAI to GB, recording video on phone, editing in IMovie, etc…. Yet, and wanted to just test out the new tripod and capture video the old fashioned way.

Not really happy with the bass volume, and I had the amp up much louder then you would think.

But, here is number 3.
Would do a few more, but it is so hot in here today, I need all the fans blasting, and turning them off for recording, I still start sweating.

Maybe I will bust out 3 or 4 tonight when it cools down.

So, #3
If you can hear it. Headphones help

2 Likes

Nice @T_dub! I could hear it just fine!
I’ve been lagging too. Redirected my efforts to record the Kansas - Wayward Son cover the last few days. But it’s all good, it’s not a race, and there’s no schedule or time frame.

This one is tough due to the pinky roll. I need to work some more on making sure only one string is ringing during the roll.

No video on this one. I didn’t feel like putting that much effort into it today.

Sounded good man!

1 Like

Thanks John!

Debuting the Ray34 with Groove #9.

4 Likes

Number 10.

1 Like

Number 11 builds on the hammer-on technique from the last groove and adds string crossing. It was a forearm workout!

This one sounds a bit like in the style of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal”.

2 Likes

Number 12.

1 Like

Lucky 13!

1 Like

I found #14 challenging. Synchronizing the left hand rake with the 16th note triplet took me 3 days to get and get it up to speed. But once I got it it was fun to play.

1 Like

Funky! Did you have an envelope filter on or was that funk all you?

Loved it

1 Like

Thanks @John_E! No effects besides compression. That was all Bass with the treble and bass boosted slightly.

1 Like

Moving along. Number 15 is harder than I thought it would be.

Hey @T_dub, where are you at? You’ve been MIA. Everything ok?

1 Like

Number 16 involves double stop chords. :worried:
It looked hard to do at first but in actuality I found it pretty easy to play. I was able to complete the exercise and record it during my lunch hour. Pretty fun to play!

Sounds clean. I’ve never known what exactly is meant by “double stop”. Is it just playing 2 strings at once?

1 Like