Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

Thanks John!

Debuting the Ray34 with Groove #9.

4 Likes

Number 10.

1 Like

Number 11 builds on the hammer-on technique from the last groove and adds string crossing. It was a forearm workout!

This one sounds a bit like in the style of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal”.

2 Likes

Number 12.

1 Like

Lucky 13!

1 Like

I found #14 challenging. Synchronizing the left hand rake with the 16th note triplet took me 3 days to get and get it up to speed. But once I got it it was fun to play.

1 Like

Funky! Did you have an envelope filter on or was that funk all you?

Loved it

1 Like

Thanks @John_E! No effects besides compression. That was all Bass with the treble and bass boosted slightly.

1 Like

Moving along. Number 15 is harder than I thought it would be.

Hey @T_dub, where are you at? You’ve been MIA. Everything ok?

1 Like

Number 16 involves double stop chords. :worried:
It looked hard to do at first but in actuality I found it pretty easy to play. I was able to complete the exercise and record it during my lunch hour. Pretty fun to play!

Sounds clean. I’ve never known what exactly is meant by “double stop”. Is it just playing 2 strings at once?

1 Like

You keep saying how hard these are and then nailing them.

I gotta jump in this train, I love how funky they are

1 Like

Nice, very Devo-ish.

Ok. I’m starting these this weekend.

1 Like

My understanding is that a double stop is playing 2 notes at the same time. Triple stop would be 3 notes.

1 Like

Ha ha they look hard when I watch Mark play them.
Many I can’t play when I start them. I start really slow to get them under my fingers, and then some I get fast, some take me some work.

Awesome! I’ve definitely seen improvement in dexterity since I started these.

1 Like

Look at the description for #17. Doesn’t it sound hard?

Groove #17 makes use of more double stops, this time combined with slides and hammer on’s in a funk setting.

Isn’t 3 notes a chord? Or is it that a triple stop doesn’t have to be “official” chord tones?

1 Like