Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

I found #14 challenging. Synchronizing the left hand rake with the 16th note triplet took me 3 days to get and get it up to speed. But once I got it it was fun to play.

1 Like

Funky! Did you have an envelope filter on or was that funk all you?

Loved it

1 Like

Thanks @John_E! No effects besides compression. That was all Bass with the treble and bass boosted slightly.

1 Like

Moving along. Number 15 is harder than I thought it would be.

Hey @T_dub, where are you at? Youā€™ve been MIA. Everything ok?

1 Like

Number 16 involves double stop chords. :worried:
It looked hard to do at first but in actuality I found it pretty easy to play. I was able to complete the exercise and record it during my lunch hour. Pretty fun to play!

Sounds clean. Iā€™ve never known what exactly is meant by ā€œdouble stopā€. Is it just playing 2 strings at once?

1 Like

You keep saying how hard these are and then nailing them.

I gotta jump in this train, I love how funky they are

1 Like

Nice, very Devo-ish.

Ok. Iā€™m starting these this weekend.

1 Like

My understanding is that a double stop is playing 2 notes at the same time. Triple stop would be 3 notes.

1 Like

Ha ha they look hard when I watch Mark play them.
Many I canā€™t play when I start them. I start really slow to get them under my fingers, and then some I get fast, some take me some work.

Awesome! Iā€™ve definitely seen improvement in dexterity since I started these.

1 Like

Look at the description for #17. Doesnā€™t it sound hard?

Groove #17 makes use of more double stops, this time combined with slides and hammer onā€™s in a funk setting.

Isnā€™t 3 notes a chord? Or is it that a triple stop doesnā€™t have to be ā€œofficialā€ chord tones?

1 Like

I think a chord the notes are played in succession, a stop in conjunction. But Iā€™m not 100% sure.

With chords you play the notes simultaneously. Playing the notes of a chord one at a time is an arpeggio. Unless I am missing something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes chord and arpeggio are used interchangeably. A sax canā€™t play a ā€˜chordā€™ but folks will refer to an chord on an instrument like that and really mean arpeggio. I think itā€™s chord envy for the polyphonic instruments.

2 Likes

In this video Mark Smith refers to a double stop as a two note chord, so I guess itā€™s a chord.

1 Like

Interesting, Iā€™d never heard the term ā€œdouble-stop.ā€ Yes, any time two or more notes are played at once, itā€™s a chord. Specifically, for two notes, a dyad (had to look that up to remember it). At least for every other instrument I have played.

ā€œDouble-stopā€ looks like a term that started with guitars, cool. Learn something every day.

@John_E - Iā€™ve only played two monophonic instruments and only one of those for any length of time, so Iā€™m far from an expert, but I remember ā€œarpeggiosā€ as a thing on those too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was quite older than guitar. Hereā€™s what I found.

The invention of the double-stop is generally credited to violinist Carlo Farina , whose Capriccio Stravagante (1627) was published in Dresden while he was Court-Violinist at Saxony.

Edit: I have a vague memory of learning this on the B2B course. I may be wrong.

1 Like