Talking Bass 25 Groove Challenge

…full stop there for me period. :rofl:

1 Like

I am sure the technique goes way back. I’m kind of curious where the english term came from.

1 Like

Number 17.

2 Likes

Nice!
Getting the first few under my fingers today. Need to record them tomorrow.
I can see how these are really useful for dexterity and fret hand control already.

1 Like

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

For #18, the sheet music doesn’t match what he is playing. At least to me.
I played this one the way I heard it.

1 Like

Man. These escalated quickly from the Peter Gunn and Louie Louie soundalikes this all started with :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am really glad I started these.
They certainly help with dexterity and control, and are actually a lot of fun.
Also learning how to video edit a whole bunch of files.
Here are the first 5.
Perfect - no, but I am good with it.
I do feel like I hear improvement as I go.
I was originally going to wait to get the testbed bass back from having the pickguard done and do different pickup combos in each groove but can’t wait any longer, so will cycle through some basses as I go.

EDIT: I just realized that by combining the first 5 audio files Abelton matched the bpm of all 5 drum tracks, so I am going to go back and redo these, arrghh.

VIDEO REMOVED TO FIX TEMPO ISSUES.

1 Like

man @RuknRole, you are so clean on these now and SO FUNKY!
I just went back and watched some of your first ones, you have really progressed a lot!!
Hoping I get to the same level as you as I go.
WOW.

1 Like

Nice @John_E! Good start and it sounded great!
My original intent was to record these in groups of 5 as well but ended up doing them individually.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes I feel I’m doing better and it’s getting easier to play stuff. Still have a long way to go, but I think these exercises have helped me a lot.

1 Like

Thanks. Going to redo them with the right speed tracks. I knew something was off on some with tempo but it didn’t hit me until I was done. I pulled all 5 audio clips into abelton and it automatically matched the tempo of the first clip (which I knew I’d did and forgot).

1 Like

I like #19. This one is fun to play!
The ghost notes sound ghostier in real life. They sound more like a full note in the recording.

3 Likes

Here is my #1-#5 fixed.
Turns out #2-#4 were already faster than the original tracks by a few clicks so I just left them.
I had to redo #5 which was much slower than it should have been!

3 Likes

another great one, I am really glad I started these.
They are quick (ish) and fun as heck.

2 Likes

#5 sounds much better at speed. Good job!

#20 looks impossible! I’m gonna be there for a while!

I’m going to be on #6 for a while!
9 & 10 are cool though.
I have trouble with fast stuff, one of the reasons I decided to do this, get my fingers tamed!

2 Likes

Well that’s it for me on this challenge. I’m stopping at #20. Everything else is too fast for me right now. I will revisit at some point.

I bought the slap course during the Talking Bass sale, so I’m going to move on to that one. I’ve been looking forward to starting it.

1 Like

I’m doing the slap course now.
Prepare to learn finger control in your fretting hand. Turns out that showy slapping hand is not where all the action is after all.

Enjoy!

1 Like