Temporarily Bassless

Dear Abby,

As I sit here and type, my basses have been packed away into a moving pod for about six hours and I can FEEL my finges getting rusty.

I may have mentioned before that I’m moving house. I am in the process of shutting down my house in the People’s Glorious Republic of Ontariostan, and everything is packed away already. Moving out next monday. Our new house in Saudi Oilberta isn’t going to be ready till mid-Jan. Anyhoo, my basses are packed away, my new acquisition (Peavey Foundation) is being sent to my office in Oilberta.

The earliest I will pick up a bass is next week when we go to Poland to stay wih the in-laws, and I will get to futz with Stingummathing again. Other than this forum, what other bass things do I do?

8 Likes

Buy a Kala U-bass for the interim, realize you love it and keep it forever?

6 Likes

Oh I’m sorry, I mistook this cry for help as the GAS thread :slight_smile:

11 Likes

He asked for a solution @howard !!! I think you’ve helped. Genuinely. :guitar:

5 Likes

Take a break. Reconnect with your family. When that’s done, say tomorrow at the latest, explore music theory

8 Likes

Yeah, work stuff out… I always take a notebook with me when bass-less and write out things (scales, intervals, …). Make little fretboard diagram and annotate triads etc - see how symmetric it all is and where the shapes are; or, how a triad can be mapped in different ways…
Etc. etc.
Plus, after a little break, you come back to your instrument(s) fresh and re-motivated :wink:

6 Likes

Hi!
You could do some reading training for notation. Also, there’s apps like Complete Rhythm Trainer to tap rhythms.

Of course, you can always send letters of love to your local drummer buddy. And there is so much air bass to play while you listen to some sweet tunes!

Cheers,
Antonio

4 Likes

Give 6000 likes here at the forum on the next 5 days to receive the Higher Love Badge

6 Likes

Air bass? Sure, you will look funny (especially the slides), but inside you will know it just feels right.

5 Likes

Yeah, but I also packed away my airbass strings, and I don’t know if Amazon can deliver a set on time :frowning:

4 Likes

Legend says that if you brandish hard enough over the poles with your fingers, their magnetic fields may get interrupted.

3 Likes

You can order some air bass strings in the WiFi cable’s section. :grin:

3 Likes

Maybe take some time to discover new music ? I always find that we can’t have enough time to listen to every potentially good album out there. And there are new albums every week.

1 Like

Use the week wisely and research your next bass acquisition!
A Mayones would be a nice souvenir from Polakistan!
You’re welcome! :wink:

5 Likes

I like your thinking, sir!!

3 Likes

Yes!!!

4 Likes

Ship this directly to me, please. Thank you.

5 Likes

While you in there, why not grab one of these for me, thanks :wink:

4 Likes

That’s gorgeous, @joergkutter. Is that another Feraud?

1 Like

Yup! The pure J-J - bucket list for sure :wink:

1 Like