10 Gadgets to Make You a Better Bassist (Or NOT?)

Score! Point taken!

5 Likes

@howard I recall you saying that you donā€™t use an amp, only headphones. Is this the device you use for that?

3 Likes

Howard answered before I did :joy::joy:

But I donā€™t have an amp aswell

2 Likes

A couple things about the Spider Capoā€¦

Firstly, the one you have is made for 6 string guitar but you can order a custom model made for bass.

And secondlyā€¦ flip that thing over so the pointy bits arenā€™t stabbing you in the fingers. :slight_smile: The big knoby thing goes on the bottom.

5 Likes

Completing what I saidā€¦

All of our band lives in small apartments that donā€™t have enough room for itā€¦ And our rehearsals happen in a studioā€¦

So, I connect everything to this Vox and headphones

4 Likes

Nope, I just run headphones out of my DAI.

I had one of those before I had any amp though. It was cute and fun.

4 Likes

Acoustic basses are made for porches, decks, campfires, boats, road trips, tailgates, etc.
There not for everyone, but I thought Iā€™d mention it.

Have you checked one out?

2 Likes

Your Zoom B1X Four will do the same trick. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kind of hard to walk around the yard with it in your pocket, and extra wires, but it will work if you want to sit down somewhere. Just get lots of batteries to keep around.

1 Like

Never play the bass while mowing your lawn.
Also: you donā€™t have mains power outlets on your porch??!? :wink:

3 Likes

Lol, good rule to live by.

I agree you can get the same out of the Zoom, heck, more. But the ultra portability of the VOX leaves you out to sea, sailing the open waters, anchored to nothing.

The zoom can get rid of the anchor, but itā€™s like having a large life boat weighing down one side of the ship.

No clue why I did ocean reference, just happened.

5 Likes

But if the batteries die, youā€™re adrift at sea without a paddle (just trying to stay with the sailor theme) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. Where is our resident Navy guy @Lanny when we need him

3 Likes

I hated my time in the Navy, but will do my best in the @Lanny absence. We call it being ā€œDead In The Waterā€ when you are at sea with no power. I did it on an Aircraft Carrier once, pretty scary to be defenceless on that big of a target.

So for this analogy, if you want the true Navy experience, keep spare batteries in your pocket and an overly complex written procedure of how to change them. Make sure when they need to be replaced you have one person do all the work and 5 others yelling at you about slower, harder ways to replace them without actually helping themselves. Then of course when the batteries are replaced and you no longer adrift at seaā€¦
Keep On Thumping!

8 Likes

@BassFaceDisgrace :rofl: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Reminds me of my time in government employment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like law enforcement :slight_smile: @BassFaceDisgrace

3 Likes

Have you tried the vox pathfinder 10 to use for practicing ? Anyone likes it?

5 Likes

@hotbel This is the first Iā€™ve even heard of it and I havenā€™t seen anyone else on the forum mention one. If you have one, tell us about it hereā€¦ Show us your amps

Also, Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!
When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

4 Likes

Can someone reco the best tuners (clip on and plug in) for 5 strings?
The Snarks certainly donā€™t do the B string very well.
I see that folks tune to the E or the octave on the B string, but which tuners really can go that low?
I have one of the old Korg plug ins that seems to work well.
Is there a clip on that actually works for true low B?
TC Electronics Clip On?
Peterson Clip On?

3 Likes

The red clip-on from Thomann has no issues with my low B-string.

3 Likes