The coolest thing just happened

A couple of weeks ago I was talking with my wife and mentioned casually that I wish I had a drummer to practice with.

This afternoon, she mentioned she wanted to learn to play the drums.

Yes!

34 Likes

Congrats!

6 Likes

That’s great! Lucky you! If your girl is anything like mine, more time with her doing things you enjoy doesn’t have a price tag.

7 Likes

That is mega cool @no.treble! Love my wife but can’t imagine that ever happening. Have fun

6 Likes

My girl says she wants to do that, too. Then she can be in charge and give me direction in yet another aspect of my life.:joy:. If she does, I’d happily follow her lead. Not only is she killer smart and truly funny, she’s also able to see through me and show me when I’m being self-defeating.

11 Likes

Now, do you get acoustic loud AF drums, or go electronic and share the PA? :thinking:

5 Likes

She’s a keeper!

I wish I could get my wife back interested in music. She’s a far better keyboardist than I am - her teacher urged her to go pro in fact. Also a great singer, and has been a drummer. And she’s utterly not interested, she only did it because it’s what kids do here growing up, and as soon as she was free, no interest :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Alrighty, then, @autumnsdad1990. You’re set! Godspeed to you both.

2 Likes

Your wife is cool indeed

(Tamu in the clip is a wife and mother of two toddlers btw)

3 Likes

That’s awesome

Look forward to hearing how you get on

3 Likes

This is totally the situation with my wife, @howard . She completed music school when she was a kid but has no interest at all these days. The few times I’ve managed to play something with her she’s approached it with all the enthusiasm of a dog getting a bath. At one point she said she was going to learn the bass - hence the Hofner - but she complained the strings hurt her hands and gave up. Sigh.

5 Likes

I think having a musical marriage would be just crazy cool.
To be creative together and have fun playing, etc.
Man, the thought of it is just spectacular.

5 Likes

I got myself a tiny Roland td-1k and started learning with Drumeo. Is lots of fun. Highly recommended if not into full blown acoustic drums

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Very jealous of how that worked out :grin:

3 Likes

My wife’s finally signed up for School of Rock classes with me. Not cause of me though, but cause another friend of ours who joined me in class playing keyboard, then took a couple of sessions off, is coming back for a session on The Beatles. But I’ll take it either way. I’m worried our practice schedules will be off (I think I will practice more than her, but I’m less naturally gifted) but we’ll see how that tension resolves itself. The risk/reward ratio seems worth it. Will have an answer by the end of January (the next show date).

Oh - and we got an electronic drum kit and share a PA at home. But she plays acoustic at the school. Though she scares herself with how loud they are…

6 Likes

Sounds fantastic! Have fun together.

2 Likes

Very cool indeed!

3 Likes

My partner was in a couple of bands prior to our relationship but brought me into the mix. We’re in a band together now, me self-taught and Josh-taught :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ve been playing the bass for 3 1/2 years. No previous music experience other than chorus in high school and a short unimpressive year of trying out the guitar. Picking up the bass was like putting on my most comfortable clothing—the fit was right and it felt natural. I have to admit, sharing an interest in music with my partner as well as being in a band together is crazy cool! So blessed to have this opportunity together. Who would’ve thought I’d be in a band in my 50’s with no prior experience? Not me! So much joy and accomplishment to share. I highly recommend it. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

It’s awesome! When I decided to play drums I purchased 10 Best Electronic Drum Sets (Winter 2023) – Reviews & Buying Guide Alesis (I attach the link), you can find it on Amazon. I was very pleased with tactile aspects, I love how each pad can be adjusted for sensitivity, this brought Hi-Hats and Hi-Hat pedal into actual useful and feeling as it should.

2 Likes

GAS isn’t limited to stringed instruments. We have that Alesis electronic drum kit, but now the wife is feeling like a real snare drum is necessary to practice some particular techniques. So we went shopping and while the salesman was demo’ing all the snares in the room, my wife took a step back and I knew she was just trying to figure out which was her favorite color…Turns out it’s pretty easy to disconnect the e-snare and replace it with a real snare…

3 Likes