The Fender experience

Ironically the bass I have probably seen used most in punk is… the Fender P-bass :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah. There’s a lot of them. I don’t mean they arent a worthwhile product-im just not going to get one.
I didn’t mean who specifically played what-it was about refusing to do something a certain way because everyone did it that way. Perhaps i should have worded it better.

1 Like

Shouldn’t this topic be in the gear section? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Holy moly two basses failing on a review. Great QC there lol. Luckily I haven’t experienced any problems with Fender (or any of my other brands) so far. Fingers crossed.

Also… This is like the 5th thread I have seen in a short period about Fender pricing. I really don’t understand why people get so worked up about this. If you think it’s too expensive you got enough alternatives don’t you? I mean there are enough P and J clones out there for more affordable prices.

4 Likes

Apparently, there’s enough fairy dust being sprinkled over the Fender name to make people want it.
I mean, even in his last video, Josh specifically mentioned the Precision Bass and the Jazz Bass as the yardstick for each and every bass, and stated that the ultimate goal for any bass guitar would be to replicate the sound of either of the two.

Apparently, folks like Chris Squire (Rickenbacker), Gary Willis (Ibanez), Percy Jones (started out using a P, but switched to Wal quite quickly, and has been spotted using Ibanez) never got that memo.

4 Likes

Thank you, Peter.

2 Likes

You sure about this? I thought he did this as a test because people tend to compare a bass with the typical Fender P and J bass (which has been used in many songs and is seen somewhat as a standard). Don’t think Josh stated that replicating this sound should be the ultimate goal. Maybe I missed that in the vid?

1 Like

I dig it. They set the standard 60 years ago. We sent astronauts into space with a lander that had roughly the computer processing power of a gameboy. Maybe we shouldn’t ever improve on ideas. I mean- it worked then, right?

2 Likes

Good point, I’ve moved it

3 Likes

He has probably not used the exact same words I use, but the test aimed to find out which of these two basses would come closest to the Fender sound. Which, iirc, made the Yamaha “win the test”, even though Josh himself liked the Ibanez better.
At 10:14, Josh says:

“These basses don’t sound bad, but they can’t replicate that classic Fender sound.”

1 Like

I… um… I have a few issues with that analogy. :rofl:
I also very much doubt that, if you’d ask an astronaut to go up again and let him choose whether to use '60’s Apollo/Saturn technology or today’s stuff, they’d say “hmm, just give me the stuff James Lovell used.”

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the ultimate goal for any bass to sound like a J or a P, unless they are a J or a P.

6 Likes

That’s what i was getting at. Improving on ideas is kinda what we do as a species. I really doubt any of us wants the 1989 brick phone when presented with an ultra-thin hyperfast super computer that slides easily into a pocket…

Again, perhaps I’m not expressing myself well. I guess it’s good that i choose to just be a professional electrician rather than a spellman or wordster. I’m saying i ain’t no languagologist.

4 Likes

Although, even as a Bassist I’ve only ever heard Chris Squire. I googled Gary Willis and Percy Jones; the first sentences for each said “jazz fusion” so that might explain it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normally I wouldn’t agree with this. Ford isn’t responsible for Lincoln quality, for instance. I used to work for a chemical company that was owned by a Japanese conglomerate; they weren’t responsible for our quality.

Certainly if Lincoln shits the bed, or if my old chemical company does, explanations to the corporate overlords are in order. But those corporate overlords have little to do with day-to-day quality management of the subsidiaries.

In Fender’s case, however, I do agree. Squier isn’t so much a subsidiary as it is a branding. Squier instruments are integrated on the main Fender website, and I think they all say this now:

Screenshot 2022-03-23 073010

So, yeah. If you’re going to brand an instrument like that, that pretty much says it all. :smiley:

2 Likes

That makes sense, as the original company called Squier was acquired by Fender in 1965, but ceased to exist altogether in 1975. Fender just dusted off the name, so as to be able to have a share of the lower end of the market without soiling the Fender brand reputation.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still, it has you missing out on a lot of goodness. Here’s Percy Jones making sweet lovin’ to a Wal bass.

Well @peterhuppertz because he’s a fellow Welshman I’ll give him a listen when I get home!

1 Like

yeah the MIM prices especially has become insanely high. (but, seriously, the quality is higher than 10-15 years ago)

2 Likes

In 1957 a Fender P Bass cost $220. So allowing for inflation that’s $2200 in today’s money.

1 Like

I think I put this in another thread a couple of weeks ago, but I had a Squier for a while, listed for around $500 retail. I didn’t think it was worth that. I wouldn’t buy one for $500. I have a Player Jazz now, lists for around $850 retail. I definitely think it’s worth that. Even given the sheer number of just-as-good-as-a-Player-Jazz basses out there for less than $850, I would pay $850 for a Player Jazz.

Assuming that the bass isn’t “relic” or “distressed”. I’ll never understand paying top dollar for instruments that look beat up.

But that’s just me. :slight_smile: