The Iron Maiden of Techique

You would THINK that after all these years I wouldn’t need a metronome (the “Iron Maiden”)…
Every now and then I need to pull it out and practice a bit even if it’s just to get a beat on the 2 right.

Anyone else still use a metronome, even occasionally?

-Doc

3 Likes

We use click tracks in our ears at church. That’s basically a metronome with cues. Oddly, I rarely practice with a metronome or click tracks unless there’s a really tricky cord change.

4 Likes

I always practice with a drum machine. I started with my Zoom B1 but now I use a drum machine in a pedal form called Beat Buddy. Sounds amazing.
I do it because Josh told me to, in the B2B course and he’s right as usual.

3 Likes

I may need to try this!

Metronome or drum machine, honestly you will always need one, or should anyway.
Unless you call it ‘free jazz’. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Hate metronomes. Drums, always :slight_smile:

I always regret skipping drums when I play around. Drums make everything better with bass.

4 Likes

Definitely definitely definitely!

Drum loops are fun too - (I’m always pushing the Drum Genius app for phones - tons of killer drum loops to jam to with adjustable tempo!) - but sometimes it’s good to roll back to just the metronome.

I end up playing a lot in groups without drums, and it’s always nice to do some practice without the drummer to lean on! Metronomes are great for that.

3 Likes

I have one of those built into my little Vox amp. I just pulled it out of the closet. I’ll use that for practice. Good idea, thanks.

2 Likes

I will use one if I am having trouble with a tricky part or to practice accenting different beats. I will use it to help with counting out a hard part slowly to get it down. But I absolutely suck at counting on anything fast, so I will gradually increase the click until I get to about 75% and then just “internalize” it. I find it better to listen to cues from the drum track for hard parts.

3 Likes

This has been posted before, but take it from one of the masters, Carole Kaye on making your metronome groove

3 Likes

I find if you are really trying to nail tricky patterns, and get it right, the metronome is best as it hides nothing. Drums can cover up some sound. May be an issue, may not. I am used to the metronome from sax anyway, so its not a big deal.
Drums are sure a lot more fun though.

3 Likes

Mark has a good vide on the use of a metronome as well:

4 Likes

where does the hi-hat come from in that clip?

2 Likes

probably the metronome she is using…I have an app that I can change the sounds on and the accented beat as well,.e.g. 1 and 3

2 Likes

Even if I want something like a metronome, it just sounds nicer to use kicks and snares on the beat instead of “TICK tock tock tock TICK tock tock tock…” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t like the metronome tick tock because it reminds me of the relentless march of time and my brief existence that’s left.
Oh the humanity!

Sitting in a sandpit, life is a short trip

3 Likes

“This practice session is your life, ticking away…”

Also nice song ref there :rofl:

2 Likes

Drum Machine for me

6 Likes

That one looks real nice!
Im kinda settling on a Beat Buddy Mini 2.
I need to look at your Alesis as well.

1 Like

Best selling drum machine of all time!

It’s a fine workhorse of a drum machine that’s been used on many, many albums. Inexpensive too. Good choice.

3 Likes