The magic of practicing for ~5 minutes

On stage?

2 Likes

Hopefully not… :laughing:. I’m still trying to picture the bass in bed or the bass at dinner. Imagine a fine restaurant and the waiter’s reaction to a bass guitar in the other chair and the customer says "I’ll take the filet with asparagus with a Chardonnay and my bass will take an E and A string, a side of D and a glass of G!

2 Likes

For me, I wake up every morning at 6AM (stock market opens at 6:30), get my coffee and my bass and play until I have to leave for work at 8:30.

I usually try to focus on one song each day as to not burn myself out playing the same thing over and over again. Sometimes I just screw around and see what the fingers will create. It is my happy time - the wife & kid are still asleep so I keep the amp way down as not to rock them awake.

Five minutes just isn’t enough for me!

1 Like

The magic part of the five minute practice is that you’ll likely do it more often and it will be dedicated practice. The repetition and dedication are the cornerstone of effective learning. You also need to sleep to get that learning buffer into long term memory.
Doing small practice sessions every day has been proven in multiple studies to be significantly better than a single block of the same time, once a week.

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen An old thread, I know, but I’ve had a renaissance thanks to your video “do this for 10 minutes every day” and your “If I had to do it over” video recently. The principles apply to just about everything. I’m starting to stack 5-10 minute practices into a single practice. if I get one 5 minute “chunk,” great! But, I have other “chunks” or “licks” or “drils” printed from PDFs, ready to go, so I can keep on going…instead of banging away at a exercise that’s gone way past the point of diminishing returns-- and getting discouraged.

If I have the the time, 5 minutes can become10 minutes, or 35 minutes or an hour. I just keep that first “chunk” front and center everyday…and I’m getting results.

2 Likes