The original songs and compositions Laboratory

No problem @rsilvertampa, I too can highly recommend Chord Tracker :+1::notes:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll let the group know how it turns out.

1 Like

Here is some work in progress, which sounds better IRL as it has arpeggiated and strumming guitars instead of that slightly boring keyboard and a live drummer who builds up the song a bit better than the GarageBand drummer :wink: But, it is mainly intended to let @Gio hear that fretless Ibanez (as I had promised). Sorry, no Gary Willis licks, though :grin:

Sounds fretless-y… but still needs some work on the sound… and the intonation :grimacing:

10 Likes

Nice tone, @joergkutter . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds very nice!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Very mellow, smooth cool bass line. I wish I could make up lines like that. Ibanez sounds great too.

2 Likes

You had me at the first fretless drag down!
Well and tastefully deployed!
I really dig that chord change into the bridge! Cool changes… and the low note at the end?? I bet you could work that growl in to some other places? It sounded killller.

I got to borrow a fretless for a shelter in place recording session, and turned on the chorus pedal and had myself a good time with a drummer buddy.
I was not nearly so tasteful or restrained with my fretless bombs.
Here’s what we did:

6 Likes

Smoooooth, Jörg, smoooooth. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Love the visuals, you’re so good at that :slight_smile:

Very funky!

5 Likes

Thanks, guys!

Yep, still so much to explore on a fretless! But, it’s a ton of fun!

Haha, somehow I wouldn’t have expected anything else! That sounds so funky - love those power (root/fifth) slides! But, man, you need to be absolutely spot on with these as it is so obvious if you are even a tiny bit flat on the fifth :grimacing:

When is the next BMH EP hitting the streets??

You can, @JerryP! This, I think, is the biggest benefit of original music vs covers: you get trained in creating bass lines. Here, the guitar player of our band created the chord progression (he has better voicings, though, when he plays) and I got to come up with the bass line. It is something that evolves - first I only stumble from root to root, and then slowly I start adding more color and embellishments. Now, I just need to find a way to force myself away from the root every now and then… :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, Eric - I need to start exploring my “grittier” side at some point; I always end up with those smooth, mellow tunes, it seems :face_with_monocle: :joy:

3 Likes

Ha! Yup.
No hiding in the world of fretless playing.

Hmmm… this reminds me of a dream I had, where I was hanging out with my friends, and we were all making music, and there were people listening and clapping. Strange.
Really though, when it’s safe to get friends together, we’ll make more music. But we just don’t have a space or inclination right now.
Tough times.

6 Likes

Very smooth Joerg @joergkutter,
Love the tone from the bass and I actually liked the keyboards :+1:
Look forward to hearing the whole piece when you have it completed😎
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Very funky groove @Gio😎
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks, Brian :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: The song is pretty much done; it’s a bit longer than what I had here, and it has a guitar instead of the keyboards and more lively drums (but there is no recording yet). I mainly did this “mock up” to provide a sound sample of the fretless for Gio :grin:

5 Likes

@joergkutter

I like that a lot… and don’t be dismissing those “boring” keys! (Although I’m sure guitar will be cool as well!)

4 Likes

Thanks, Lee! I dig the chords, but what I meant by “boring” is that I just punched in the arpeggios without much rhythmic variations or a bit more interesting voicings :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Here is a rough idea. I tend to bring this stuff to the band and it goes somewhere or it Doesn’t

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VoZSIXpA11FkyULkUGjLyHaF89g42I70/view?usp=drivesdk

5 Likes

Haven’t done a video on this but it’s a nice groove, kinda reggaeish or something.

3 Likes

Good playing! Jazzy fusion type stuff. That style is one of my weakest but I dig it!

2 Likes

Yeah, rough, but that’s a good start - especially if that is how you guys compose together in the band, by bringing rough ideas and let the others chime in with suggestions.

The way the riff sounds, I would probably add a beat to it to make it a 5/4 time signature - makes it more prog metal-y, and should be fun for the drummer, too :grin:

2 Likes