The original songs and compositions Laboratory

I hope you guys aren’t offended by this. Here I am experimenting with my 6-string short-scale open-G-tuned piccolo steampunk bass. :wink:

If anybody is interested a study in frustration, try coming up with a bass line for a guy with very little rhythm and a tune with no particular direction. Lol

5 Likes

So umm…I’m not up to the challenge there! Lol.

That thing is cool and super wild, totally dug what you did there. An improv jam session With you and you playing it, that would be fun.

I mean…I could try it. I have no idea how that is tuned. Don’t have the best ear training ability. Add on it’s a totally different tone than anything I am used to, and that is a tough one. What is the key and primary chord progression you are playing? Give me that and I’ll see what I can do.

2 Likes

Also, you should send this video to Rob Scallon…he plays all sorts of odd instruments. If it has strings he can figure it out. He might find that thing to be interesting.

And your rhythm is fine! Some tunes are wandering like that so no big deal.

1 Like

Thanks @kerushlow. It’s kind of a blues thing, Gm, Cm, Dm. I was going to say 12-bar blues but there’s really no pattern. lol

Nice. That helped…I was jamming along with that info to orient myself. It’s funny it was working at times…and then I’d kind of fall off. Given musical collaboration is kinda team work, learning to work together. In this context it is harder, not knowing queues to change etc…

1 Like

To be fair, it was improvisation… I didn’t know what was coming next either. lol

And I couldn’t play the same thing again if I wanted to, but the recording will at least give me a reminder of the gist of what I was doing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s part of what makes the Jazz greats so amazing. They play complex wandering music and somehow follow each other. It’s nuts! I will stick to my simply structured Rock and funk most likely! But I do like experimenting. Would love to hear your piccolo in a song with other instruments.

3 Likes

This one is up beat and happy, with lots of double thumb and ghost notes.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncKDagJAzVak8693J6vQOHA7qhzZCSf3/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

So, incomplete project, more than likely will scrap it, but just learning all the DAW stuff and self recording. Not mixed, no plugins or anything, just a few layers. Used MT Power drum to make the drum beat. Made a main bassline. Did some lead stuff. Somehow when I exported there are like 2 and a half minutes of silence. In any case, here is my first solo incomplete home recording using a DAW.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kkXOKcI4b2YesThsQ-pQ58C5aVNJyimv/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

awesome!!!

1 Like

I thought we were gonna get to hear the whole 4 min…nice tease…love the tone on the bass and the feel of the song…can’t wait to hear the whole when its done

1 Like

@joergkutter I wanted to say thanks for sharing the play through of Beatrice with Damian Erskine. I have been working on that song since you posted it and I am even taking private lessons with Damian now through https://www.basseducation.com. I am grateful. If you haven’t checked out the site the link is here for you.

2 Likes

So stoked for you, @LesterH - Damian is an awesome teacher, I am sure. And, more importantly, he can teach you especially what you are looking for… jazz and fusion!! Keep us posted on your progress!

I am swamped at work and too many side projects to make any good progress at the moment… but, baby steps… :wink:

2 Likes

This one I really wanted to do with the band! But maybe it’s better as a side project. Something there on this one I can’t help but feel.

1 Like

One more in the works!

I’m loving this one. It has 3 layers of bass. The foundation is setting a descending chord progression comprised of roots + octaves. Next layer are droning 5ths (is that the term?) using the finger as a pick, creating a sort of delay effect .Then enters the melody. Which is basically some improv on E minor on the G string. I’m now putting some ideas from that improv into a music sheet, so I can give it some purpose and structure.

Some tempo issues and weak mixing overall. Hope you like it.

4 Likes

This is very Joy Division in feel. I completely love it.

3 Likes

Oh my… that has to be the biggest musical compliment I ever got! :heart:

2 Likes

It absolutely has a late JD/early New Order vibe to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DUDE!!! I love it man. Cool effect, cool layers, nice groove, melody and harmony! This is the creative format I love doing, loop something, play something over it, layer it again. Keep it up and keep sharing ‘em!

2 Likes

Thank you @kerushlow! I love that model too!

2 Likes