The Reaper Thread

Since you only know how to trim the ends… If you had the whole piece twice (either back to back in the same file or in 2 files and put them together after you finish), you could then trim the end of the first one and trim the beginning of the second one. Put the pieces together and you have effectively removed a middle section.

2 Likes

I just re-recorded that track. But I would still know how to do it for future use.

1 Like

Yes of course there is. This is a fundamental operation. Several ways to do it. If you just want to remove part of an item, you can use the method I described above - select the item, put the time cursor at the start of the part you want to cut out of the item, hit “s” or select “split items at cursor” from the menu, move the cursor to the end of the part you want to delete, hit “s” again. You’ll now have the track split into three items. Select the middle one and hit delete (or cut).

At this point, you should probably search for a “reaper basics” video or something - this kind of thing is super fundamental to using it, and there’s other stuff like this. It’s super important to understand the difference between items and tracks, for example.

But if you only remember one hotkey, remember that “s” splits items at the time cursor :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This will crack some of us up: Kenny has made so many tutorials that he made a meta-tutorial for watching his tutorials :slight_smile:

It almost feels wrong when I see a reaper video without his funky-ass speaking cadence.

4 Likes

Yes he sure has a strange style, but his video tutorials are very good and quite helpful.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tutorial tutorial before :thinking: :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Yeah he’s great, excellent instructional videos.

2 Likes

Anyone knows how to program fx in reaper?

What I mean is, take a LF for instance, I want to control how it behaves during a bar or two without a lot of take-only fx gymnastics. Any way to record the fx behaviour?

I tried google, but probably I’m using the wrong terms because all I get is literal fx programming (creating my own effects) which is not what I want

3 Likes

You can add effects to items as well as tracks. So, basically split the track into multiple items, and apply the effect to the item.

If I do this though I often just make a separate track and put the split item in the separate track. No real reason, just habit.

2 Likes

Hi @howard, thank you for your answer. That’s exactly what I meant with “without a lot of take-only fx gymnastics”.

That’s how I’m doing now, but I wished I had more fine control on how the fx behaves throughout those bars. Like making a knob go up/down in that duration in a predefined manner. Or having a progessive build up prior to those bars and only then full fx onset.

I’m sorry, my english is strangling how to express exactly what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

you can do that. I’ll do some screenshots when I’m back home.

4 Likes

so @gcancella , that’s not very complicated. after you created your effects on the track :

1 : click on the “trim” button
2 : it will open a window where you have to choose which parameters you want for an envelope/automation
3 : your parameter appears now like a track : it’s the automation track
4 : you set your envelope for this parameter

On this example I change the gain of a parametric band on ReaEQ, I used this on my last cover :

4 Likes

Ooooww so cool! Thank you @terb!

4 Likes

That’s super cool. The only thing I have done like that is level changes, this is much cooler.

Exporting automatable controls is part of the VST standard so this should work with any VST for its automation.

4 Likes

Can any of you Reaper aficionados tell me the optimal recording levels?

I found one of Kenny’s videos entitled “Proper Recording Levels in REAPER” but he’s demonstrating it on an old version of Reaper and it’s hard for me to follow along.
He lost me right off the bat at 3:59 when he said to switch to the “Small full meter”. I can’t find that anywhere on my version.
Thanks

1 Like

In my experience, the most loud portion of the song has to be just below red. Some do “hit the red but don’t stay there”, but I prefer to be conservative. Sometimes I commit sin, though.

2 Likes

you just have to record as loud as possible without any possibility to overload the input. something between -3 and 0 dB is ideal.

3 Likes

Okay, are you talking about this volume slider?
Kenny says -18 is optimal.

How do I know when I’m “hitting the red”? I don’t see that anywhere?
Reaper volume

1 Like

no, the recording volume has to be set on the device that SENDS the signal, not the one that receives it.

2 Likes

So how do I know if my bass’s volume is set at any particular volume? IE -18 for example? It’s just a knob, it doesn’t have any numbers on it.
(Sorry for being so dumb)

1 Like

@PamPurrs You are using the zoom U-44 aren’t you?

You have an LED for “Clip Sig”… but no little levels graphs. I have the zoom H6. It has levels graphs so I can set the gain on the Zoom till the signal form the mics is just “below the red” on the Zoom like @gcancella suggested.

You will need to adjust the gain on the zoom U-44 down till the “Clip Sig” doesn’t flash on in your loudest bits. Then go down a little more to give yourself some headroom.

2 Likes