The Reaper Thread

Thanks @sshoihet!

3 Likes

+1 to waiting for a sale. You should only ever buy plugins on sale. That said then, my favorites in order:

Kuassa Cerberus - very nice sounding amp sim with three modes - does a great ampeg-like tube amp sound, a really good solid state FET amp sound, and a third that is all overdrive all the time. All of them sound great. Has cabsims and full graphic EQ.

Plugin Alliance SVT-VR - Ampeg SVT sim, very good, not as versatile as Cerberus, but sounds a little more like a SVT than the Cerberus tube sim, and sounds almost as good as Cerberus. Has cabsims.

Ignite Amps SHB-1 - Free, excellent tube amp simulator. Has a great, overdriving ampeg-like sound. Up there with the other two for quality, and free. It may even sound better than SVT-VR. Don’t be fooled because it is free, it’s quite good. Does not come with a cabsim but Ignite also offers their NadIR cabsim for free as well and it is also quite good.

Plugin Alliance 800RB - Very good sim of the Gallien-Krueger 800RB. Has cabsims.

The NeuralDSP plugin @sshoihet mentioned isn’t an amp sim, but is a spot on perfect sim of both the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Ultra and the B7k Ultra preamp/distortion pedals, switchable in the same plugin. It’s one of the best sims of its type out there and also sounds great going in to an amp sim. Has cabsim.

3 Likes

Do the free Ignite amp and cab sims work in other DAWs as well (I assume they do), or in Reaper only?

4 Likes

Thanks @howard!
I tried to install Ignite Amps SHB-1 but the Mac OS won’t let me do it because it doesn’t recognize the author. Any Mac gurus out there that can help?

2 Likes

Here’s free Sansamp sim:

4 Likes

Thanks @Noisembryo!

1 Like

Any DAW.

4 Likes

Go to Finder system preferences > Security & Privacy > You will see an Allow software from this author alert below the Allow apps downloaded… If I recall correctly you have to unlock the lock first before you allow it. Now you can launch the software.

4 Likes

Thanks @Paul

3 Likes

Right click - Open. It will ask you are you sure. Yes.

4 Likes

Anyone know why Reaper TV stopped posting Reaper videos on his YouTube channel?
He seemed so into it and then just stopped :cry:

3 Likes

He’s still listed as a contributor:

https://www.cockos.com/team.php

4 Likes

I don’t see him listed in that link.
Also he has not put anything on YouTube for 3 years and his website server is not active at reapertv.co.uk

I used his videos a lot back in the day before Kenny Gioia came along.

3 Likes

Oh! Sorry. I thought you meant Kenny.

3 Likes

Yes,that would be awesome. Some Reaper love. Ok that all good for reaper DAW. But what software do you use for recording the video from phone?

3 Likes

I’m trying to record my bass in Reaper. It’s going straight into a Focusrite 2i2 interface (no pre-amp or anything) and then into my laptop. I add a track and arm it, and I can hear my bass - but there’s a very odd effect where it seems to be lifting the lowest frequencies by an octave. The simplest way to describe it is that playing the E string open is the same note in the same octave as fret 12 of the E string. But then the next octave up (e.g. G string fret 9) is, as you’d expect, another octave up.

Anyone come across this? It’s a new project in Reaper with just the one track, so I’m pretty sure there are no effects being applied to the sound in Reaper. Oh and it’s a common or garden Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass which sounds normal through an amp!

2 Likes

If you are direct monitoring from the Focusrite, check to make sure the track monitor in Reaper (the little speaker icon next to the record icon on the track) is switched off.

What might be happening is not octaving, but phasing, as the track monitor sound comes back out through the DAW at a slight latency from the direct monitoring from the DAI.

If you aren’t Direct Monitoring, ignore this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think I was direct monitoring, so that sounds a good thing to check, thanks. I’m sure it’ll be something obvious, but I’m pretty new to Reaper. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is exactly what was happening, you nailed it :slight_smile: Thanks howard. Problem solved.

4 Likes

Great!

2 Likes