Three finger plucking!

IMO you get good at whatever you practice. If you want to play 3-finger then practise 3-finger. Having said that, it may be a while until you can build up the coordination to play quickly and confidently (2-finger is easier), and there aren’t so many resources for 3-finger playing. Sooooo… probably best to carry on with the 2-finger work for now just so you can play something

6 Likes

@Ed Sounds like sensible advice, thank you.

5 Likes

Three finger was just something I played around with one night and found my fingers did it fairly easily. But I’m still better and more accurate with two finger. I think two finger is best all-around to get started as it provides a solid foundation for playing. Three finger is more for showing off IMHO.

3 Likes

Not exactly a beginner here, but I’m just starting to try 3-finger plucking. My question is: When learning a new song/passage, I’m prone to slowly, tediously plot out which finger will pluck which note…is this typical for anyone else, or will I reach a threshold where it becomes more or less unconscious and my plucking fingers will apply themselves appropriately?

1 Like

When I practice it, I just use whatever finger comes up in the rotation

3 Likes

I only use it when I’m playing something that benefits from the quick 1,2,3, like in the song White Rabbit or as a flourish on something I’m making up myself.

Most things don’t move fast enough to need it unless you’re playing some Iron Maiden galloping. :metal:

3 Likes

I find I can pluck faster two finger plucking.

2 Likes

I don’t find it hard, what I find challenging is fitting it into meters where there’s groups of 3s and then groups of 2 notes. It works best for a gallop and I just don’t play much of that. I’ve been “stuck” on the last level of yousician for a year because it’s all that sort of thing and I just don’t care enough to finish it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

What number is that @sshoihet ?
I got to 7 and then lost interest in the lessons :joy: I prefer to ruin the what’s new and weekly challenges

3 Likes

My brain doesn’t agree with 3 fingers. It seems I am stuck with 2 fingers, a pick and my thumb.

4 Likes

Level 9 is the highest for lessons.

I do like the weekly challenges for getting me to play stuff I would t normally play. I have a folder of challenging songs that I’ve found which are good for working on certain techniques too.

I’m surprisingly not that interested in the Metallica stuff… I like listening to it, I like playing some of it on guitar, I have little interest on bass :laughing:

I love that you can search songs by level and Esp that you can filter by 5 string. I wish you could search for slap or frerless songs too. The only song I’ve found that I really like playing on fretless is “Black” by Pearl Jam.

3 Likes

That’s exactly why I play the challenges @sshoihet . It definitely takes me out of my comfort zone regularly.
I’ve started on the Metallica thing and do enjoy murdering a song or two but it’s not as enthralling as I thought it might be

3 Likes