Tips for getting the most out of private lessons?

Digging up.
I have a question because I recently started lessons with a teacher. I am satisfied with the teacher himself, we get along well, he is very specific and has ambitious expectations towards me. I know what I want and what my goals are.

My problem is that I have social anxiety, I’m neurotic, nervous and always stressed. And here I lose a lot.
No matter how much I practice, how well I know sth, when expected to show what I have learned, I just freeze. And failure. It looks like I can’t do anything.
I know it is psychological thing, and I am handling my anxiety much better now, but still…
My brother (a MD) recommended taking some beta blocker to help me, but I don’t want any more meds.
So maybe there is someone here who could share their experiences and give me some advice? I want to get the most out of these lessons!!

Just thinking out loud here, but would it be possible to film yourself while you are practicing, and then show the video to your teacher? Of course you’d have to disregard the fact that you are being filmed, which could be another challenge all on its own…

1 Like

I feel so sorry for people with social anxiety.
I have the opposite problem and just love to be around and play with other people.

It is good that you have found a teacher you can somewhat relate to.
Are you doing the B2B course?

I was talking to several of my ukulele students that initially had the same problem when first starting.
What I suggested to them was that they try and find other musicians that they could play with in a jam scenario. That way you are not just playing to one specific individual, in this case your instructor.

Sometimes, when learning a new song if I end up with issues with a certain part I just do not play that part and join back in after it has passed. Later, I will put the part I am having issues with into my practice regime.

Most of my teaching sessions are with multiple students and I have found that it seems to be easier for people with social anxiety when they are with other people with similar concerns.

No matter what, the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing and just have fun.

Learning to play any musical instrument takes both time and constant practice.
Just keep trying and it will come just don’t give up. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

I was told everyone performs at 60% around others; at home by yourself is when you hit 100. So you have a lot of company.

Don’t put stress on yourself by trying to perform… just find the groove.

I have social anxiety too, not as severe, and I just have a short warm up routine to ease me into the lesson my teacher hears all sorts of off notes during his day so a few more from me won’t matter. When I do mess up I just keep going and forget it.

Hit the root on one and the rest is gravy

2 Likes

I perform at about 60% at home too, FWIW

6 Likes

Great tip for beginners -DON’T STOP MOVING FORWARD.
Analyze, correct and practice later. :+1:

2 Likes