Tools for doing setup

I guess this should go under gear. Purchased the Music Nomad KISS toolkit to try and figure out how to do setups. Not included is a straightedge. Trying to figure out what size straightedge I need? Those are crazy expensive, and some even have notches to go over the frets! What one do I need for Fender bass? Any other tools I really need? Figure I should learn how to adjust my axe’s instead of paying somebody $100+ for something I can do for free.

5 Likes

the only two tools you need are a phillips screwdriver and the allen wrenches that came with the bass.

Optionally a ruler, preferably with the measurement markings starting from the edge.

3 Likes

If you have instruments from more that one manufacturer you’ll find varying sizes of fasteners being used so in some ways that Nomad kit is far better than the accumulation of tools I’ve picked up over the years. I have an entire tool bag of stuff I pull out whenever I work on one of mine.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it there are a few other things that can be helpful. A straight edge is one but you can buy those less expensively elsewhere. A fret rocker and a fret hammer can be useful as well as micro grit pads for finishing and polishing frets and a fret end file. Music Nomads cleaning and care products are quite good as well.

4 Likes

Music Nomad’s fret rocker is actually a bargain considering it is a fret rocker, edge-based ruler, and height gauge all in one.

Is it needed for a setup? No. But it is useful.

3 Likes

But for the straight edge, how long should it be and is there a benefit to the notched ones? I saw I can buy a framing square for a couple of bucks but don’t know if 24” is long enough to do the job. Figure it would be nice to have something that can check the flatness of the neck.

i think for just doing a setup a straightedge is not really needed - you can capo the E on the first fret and then hold down the E where it meets the body - that makes a straight line already. i dont think it would be any easier/better with a straightedge. that would be more useful for actually building a neck as part of an entire build vs just a setup.

6 Likes

OK, that makes sense. I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks.

2 Likes

That’s a nice set that can do everything.

It depends on how many basses you have and how often you are doing setups. You can do all of the setup with just a screw driver and hex wrench but it takes some experiences.

I do a lot of setups as my hobby is buy and sell Squier Strats and basses as well as others. I find that specialty single function tools make life much easier since it only has to do one thing, :joy:.

What I find so convenient on top of the KISS set is the Fender or StewMac Tapered truss rod wrench they are longer and easier to use, and the Radio control color coated Hex wrench set.

2 Likes

@HIPCHIP Just do as howard advises in this post - tools in order of usefulness. Unless you plan on becoming a luthier. . . :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a lot of larger tools for working on cars and bikes, but not a lot of quality smaller tools that will work well on the guitars, so figured it was worth it to get a nice set of tools to work on the guitars. I have two basses and 7 electric guitars, so figure if I learn how to do setups I can check all my axes. Somewhere down the road if I’m able to start jamming I figure knowing how to check others guitars might be nice and allow me to hook up with groups or bands. Hoping to be able to go back to college and take some bass classes and I figure I may be able to help others check their axes. Who know, if I get really good I might be able to start a small business or work at my local shop.

2 Likes

Just curious how long the straight edge needs to be? Would like something that works on the bass and my standard guitars. Seem like a nice straight edge is nice for checking how flat the neck is.

1 Like

Straight edge I have for guitar and bass is 17 inches. It is a Iluiz Guitar Neck Straightness Check Tool. I got it off Amazon a couple of years back. Now saying this I have only used it twice.

2 Likes

I figure it is something I wouldn’t use very often, which is why I don’t want to pay $130 for a straight edge, especially when I can buy a metal ruler or square for like $16! Just trying to figure out the length I need and hopefully I can get one and use it on the bass and guitars.

2 Likes

Yup. Some stuff is better bought from Amazon or Harbor Freight.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even consider buying it until I actually needed it. The only thing they are used for is full fret replacements. As in, you are doing a fret job and replacing all the frets. And they are even optional there.

They are not used for neck relief in a setup.

3 Likes

Main thing I’ve seen them used for is determining if there’ a bow in the neck for truss rod adjustments. I’ll try and run through a basic setup soon.

1 Like

Most people don’t use them for that in normal setups. The string works fine. In fact I have never heard of people regularly doing this, though I am sure some have. It’s definitely not needed for this.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with the guitar tools websites, they want to sell you everything!

2 Likes

Hold the string down at two points. That creates a straight edge and you adjust your neck relief using the straight string as a reference.

Save your money for important stuff like……you know, pedals!

5 Likes