Top 3 Things That Keep You From Playing Your Bass

festool.
giphy

3 Likes

Festool mentions go in the GAS thread. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had to minimize my practice time due to lateral epicondylitis in my right elbow. A cortisone shot didnā€™t help.
Itā€™s sad because I was making progress and now I feel like Iā€™m struggling.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that @bmc1013 .
Sounds very painful and I know that the injections can be too.
Hopefully you will improve and get back to some normality

3 Likes

I just installed all of Kontact Now so thatā€™s not going to help :joy:

But Iā€™m at starbucks for a few hours and I really canā€™t play bass here :laughing:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:
Well you CAN, but youā€™d likely be invited to see the other side of the front doorā€¦ Thanks for the laugh!

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a lot of years since then but I have in fact dragged a bass to a coffee shop and busked :rofl:

With my current bandmate on guitar, in fact. And practice amps which we lucked out and found outlets for.

Made no money but they didnā€™t kick us out either and it was fun.

2 Likes

Carrying a bass on my bicycle is a pita :laughing: i ended up working on some transcriptions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

John this is very relatable. Every time I finish a song Iā€™m likeā€¦ā€what now?ā€ It feels like a completion point so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s something going on psychologically where our brains are telling us ā€œok you finished your task, itā€™s time to chillā€.

What I do to combat this is just start listening to music until I hear a bass line that really grooves or catches my attention. Usually that gives me the little spark I need to get back to work.

Currently in that situation now where nothing feels inspiring, so itā€™s back to all songs shuffle for a while!

1 Like

I generally have two issues around this. The first is that it is very difficult for me to be happy with the idea that something is finished. Iā€™ll tweak a mix forever if I let myself; I have to literally force myself to stop and declare something done.

Then, once ā€œdoneā€, Iā€™m with you. ā€œOK! That was a lot of work, whew. Now what? (crickets chirping in the background)ā€

4 Likes

For me, itā€™s lack of time like most of you, but the more important right now is that my right hand is still bothering me. It might be time to get it checked out like @John_E suggested a couple months ago during the Zoom meeting.

2 Likes
  • Work. I can noodle during meetings but at some point they actually expect me to write some programs.

• Kids. I can noodle during down times but at some point they expect me to do father things.

• ADHD. I can noodle when Iā€™m supposed to be doing other things but at some point I say ā€œtime to really practiceā€ and my brain says ā€œlolā€¦nopeā€.

In all seriousness, Iā€™ve learned over the years that a little bit of playing is better than no playing. I got a super cheap bass that I can keep downstairs that I wonā€™t care as much if the kids or puppy messes it up. I can play while Iā€™m on meetings because 9 out of 10 times the meeting has nothing to do with me and doesnā€™t require any participation other than to say ā€œhelloā€ at the beginning and ā€œhave a nice dayā€ before I click the leave meeting button.

Iā€™ve also learned that I need deadlines and/or rewards for everything if I want to be motivated. I pick a song or something I want to focus on every Monday and thatā€™s what I work on all week. Sunday is the day I have to have it figured out by because Iā€™m going to be picking something new the next day. If itā€™s a huge thing, like right now Iā€™m focusing on slap and that is going to take more than a week, I set a list of specific goals and when I achieve those goals, I get a reward. The size of the reward is appropriate for the goal.

Ultimately, if I could spend the majority of the day taking care of my kids and the rest of the time playing bass, that would be the best.

4 Likes