Transcribe That Bassline

I have this problem!! Knowing the difference between a whole step and a half step (2 frets vs 1 fret) is TOUGH.
If you get the roots and the general rhythm and groove, that’s a B, B+ in my book. The fine details are rad, but it’s those main ideas that will inform your bass playing and give you ideas to take into song building and line composition.

2 Likes

OK, here is the best I could do, @Gio … this was hard! I hope to have gotten at least the basic notes and rhythms, but, unfortunately, I couldn’t get all the phrasing, straight or dotted eighths, ghost notes and all that jazz… too damn hard for now… But, what a great exercise! (And to think that you probably played and recorded that within a minute while preparing a delicate bread dough on the side… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Example A:

Example B:

Example C:

Now I can have a peek at the other (real) transcriptions :smile:

3 Likes

Where are the other two?? :grin:

And playing-wise, I was trying to play it within the first five frets, i.e., starting on the fifth fret of the D string.

EDIT: hm, OK, reading the entire thread again, I think I might have misunderstood the original mission statement by @Vik… oh well, I got to exercise how to transcribe TrueRockage bass lines :joy:

3 Likes

Great transcription and rhythmic interpretation and writing.
I say bravo on all fronts.

Yes - the game as it was laid out is 2 part:

Part 1: Transcribe a bass line.
Part 2: Using the bass line you learned, try and develop the transcribed bass line ideas in new and creative ways (by using different grooves and drum loops to spark new ideas).

3 Likes

@joergkutter I clicked on the ‘spoiler blur’ to reveal what was underneath. It didn’t help. I kept clicking, waiting for the tab to appear but no luck. Just more tiny dots.

1 Like

Sorry, no tabs, @eric.kiser - only sheet music… the tiny dots are the notes :grin:

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes