Unboxing / Build thread

its a real bitch finding a bdi21 these days. everyone is backordered, i prepaid for one that was to be delivered in october. when i went on the sight to check on the order, i noticed they had a used one for $29. canceled the preorder and snagged it. score!

3 Likes

i’ve seen those before, some local place was making a big deal about getting one of those machines a while back.

2 Likes

Cool. They are really, really great little pedals for the price. I use mine as kind of a light amp sim and it’s also my DI, sort of like how you would use a VT.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am seriously considering taking my Ray34 in for a good Plecking

They do a full set up and re-string with the Pleck job, and there is a 1 year policy that if it goes out, you can bring it back for another set up or pleck.
I am not so much about the set up, but the Pleck would be bad ass.
Plus it would be nice to compare a professional set up to mine, as far as neck tension and action.

They also offer a Pleck Scan for $25, and apply it to the pleck job if you do it that day.
so its not really a waste, if you take it in and it looks like it doesn’t need a Pleck, you are only out $25 instead of doing it and not needn’t it and wasting $200

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. I’ve read where people have said they had a Peck job done and couldn’t tell the difference. The $25 scan makes this whole idea better to me.

1 Like

So, The HOF2 will be in stock to ship on Aug 24th. I don’t think I am in love with the Boss RV-6. I still have time to return that one (sept. 7), I think I would have time to wait to get the HOF2 and do a side by side to be sure.

This Reverb Pedal has caught my eye. It looks like it may be another GEM like the San June compressor was, so I think I am going to give it a try. I will get it on Tuesday, so there is plenty of time to test it against the Boss RV-6, and who knows, maybe this one will still be here by the time the HOF2 shows up, and the Boss may be returned already.
This one seems to focus more on the sounds I like, Spring, Plate, Hall, Room, Church, and this one sounds interesting, CAVE I am sure that would have an echo / delay on it, which might be cool, or may be overdone like Shimmer and stuff.
I like that you can save 7 settings for recall, so you don’t have to tweak turning dials on the fly, and can recall the settings.

I also might give this a try. Ammoon PocketVerb. The cool thing is that all 7 sounds, (same, spring, plate, room, hall, etc… ) also have a delay option for them. As a matter of fact, there are 7 delays with the pedal, if you want to turn the verb off and just do delay. I am not huge on delay, but it was a nice touch to have on the Boss. However, the boss only added the delay to the Spring or Plate verb, I forget which.
So, being Ammoon. I have tried a few things out from them. None of the sucked, they all functioned fine, and gave the expected sounds, I just had something I liked better, or the bass was dropped out too much because it as a guitar pedal, and I ordered it for test to check if the bass would drop out and it did. otherwise, the housings were all good, the controls were good, none of the tiny mini pedals with the tiny controls that are hard on both my fingers and my eyes. So, I possibly would try this one out as well.

The nice thing about these two pedals, they are 1/2 the cost of the Boss. So, as long as they perform well, savings would be nice. but if they don’t sound good, or feel like they are well built, or would last, then back they will go.

Ammoon Pocketverb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F42QQX1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2ZC7E4Y61QX0W&psc=1

Sometimes when things look like a good idea, or look too good to be real, you just have to give them a try, and see.

Like that Gokko Creepy. it was a fine reverb pedal, especially for the price. and it is still an option, as they are all until I decide, or until I have one past the point where it can be returned, who knows, time might become a deciding factor.

The used HOF 2 that I purchased from GC is on the UPS delivery truck as we speak. I will have it up and running in a few hours. I’ll be interested to hear your side by side comparison with the Boss RV-6.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I will have the RV-6 to test against the HOF2.
Based on my tests last night, It won’t be the one I will keep of the three.
I might get the HOF2 to test against the winner tho.
Of I guess I could hold onto it and do the test if it is something you want to know.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That takes the fun out of testing. But I would watch it after to see how my conclusion aligns with that.

2 Likes

Video conclusion for me was they both sound great, actually pretty similar sounding verbs. The RV-6 is noticeably warmer sounding than my RV-3, which would be a bummer for me but probably a plus for others. TC has better shimmer 'verb but I don’t really like shimmer so no big.

3 Likes

I just listened to the entire video with my headphones, and switched tabs on my browser so I couldn’t see which was which. My conclusion is…

I have no conclusion. They both sound great. I wondered why one sounded louder than the other, so I switched back and found that the RV-6 seemed a bit louder. Perhaps the level was set higher?

I was hoping to be able to come back and declare the HOF 2 the hands down winner, since that’s the one I chose, but I can’t. I’d say you can’t go wrong with either, although I do like the ability to use Tone Print with the HOF 2.

Also, the HOF 2 has that feature where you can use the foot switch as sort of an expression pedal. Does the RV-6 have that?

4 Likes

Nope, but the Boss has a separate expression pedal input. Agree, they both sound great to me. Nice reverb with little noise or artifacting.

3 Likes

That’s always been my conclusion, it’s hard to say one reverb sounds better than another. So I just look for one that can do a lot of different reverbs.

5 Likes

I do love reverb though. Always sounds like dark rainy spooky alleys in black and white films to me.

4 Likes

To continue with the Reverb pedal test, I did a 3 way score card for the three pedals
Boss RV-6 - FLAMMA F202 - Ammoon PocketVerb.

Notes:
-I wrote up every type between the three pedals, not all pedals are on all types because they don’t all have the same types.
-All types are rated with all settings in the 12 o’clock position

• I am just listing and adding up the scores for each pedal to rate at the end of the score card. I will go over some additional notes about the test

FLAMMA - F202
BOSS - RV-6
AMMOON - PocketVerb

SPRING - 1 - F202 - 8/10
2 - RV-6 - 7/10
3 - AMMOON - 6/10

PLATE 1 - RV-6 - 8/10
2 - F202 - 7/10
3 - AMMOON - 4/10

HALL 1 - F202 - 8/10
2 - AMMOON - 6/10
3 - The RV-6 Hall did not sound anything like the other two, it was tested against the others Church, that was what it was equal to

ROOM 1` - AMMOOM - 8/10
2 - RV-6 - 7/10
3 - F202 - 6/10

MODULATE 1 - F202 - 8/10
1- RV-6 - 8/10
3- AMMOON - 5/10

CAVE 1 - F202 - 9/10
Exclusive to the Flamma F202, one of the coolest verbs tested

CHURCH 1 - F202 - 7/10
1 - RV-6 - 7/10
1 - AMMOON - 7/10

REVERSE 1 - AMMOON - 8/10

DYNAMIC 1 - RV-6 - 6/10

SHIMMER 1 - RV-6. - 2/10

SPRING / DELAY 1 - RV-8 - 6/10
2 - AMMOON - 5/10

FLAMMA - F202 - 7.5714
BOSS - RV-6 - 6.375
AMMOON - PocketVerb - 6.125

I will say, overall sound,
The RV-6 is Warmer
The FLAMMA is colder, stiffer
The AMOON is more generic and modulated all around.

To be fair to the Ammoon PocketVerb, I believe that the settings at 12’oclock are exaggerated to be more around 3 o’clock, maybe even 4-5 o’clock. This is because when you toggle on Delay + Reverb, you need to turn the controls down, left, CCW to have the delay be useful in most circumstances.
I did some playing around with Reverb + Delay, and with the controls down, the dalay was manage able and the reverb was much less modulated overall, is this is why the pedal, out of the box, at neutral sounds too tweaked out and needs to be toned down.

Also, highlights of the Pocketverb are the Reverse. This is pretty cool.

• RV-6 is warmer, and a little richer at neutral. I can dial in the others to get close, but the RV-6 seems warmer, but to me, it seems to be changing my tone. I think the FLAMMA does the best job of adding reverb to my tone, and leaving it alone. With reverb on, my tone sounds just like it is, but with the added type of reverb. IMHO, this is best. But this is me, I like the colder, subtler reverb, like the sound of EMPTY HALLS and Rooms and what not.
  • I did rate these with the controls at neutral. I can make each of them more to my liking then how they are at neutral, and I have had best success dialing in the Flamma in to the reverb I like.

The RV-6 is a great pedal, I just can’t fall in love with it.

I think for now, I am keeping the Flamma, and will get the HOF2 and see if I like it better, enough more to keep the pedal over twice the cost. But I do love me some TonePrints @PamPurrs. I will try and keep the boss around to do some side by side, but I know it is not the one I am gonna keep.

4 Likes

Yeah, the HOF2 is next on my list, I just need to see if I will keep the Boss to test side by side.
I do like this Flamma, it is like a cold dark alley in some of the settings, and it is nice and crisp, and keeps the tone of my bass well, which I like very much.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I like about my RV-3 too. Weird that the RV-6 sounds warmer.

Here’s mine for comparison to the RV-6/HOF2:

Sounds cooler and drier to me. Which I like. I’ve heard it described as “metallic”. I’ll take that :slight_smile:

(edit - found WAY better video illustrating the “cold” tone I described.)

Apparently the RV-3 has diehard fans that won’t upgrade to the 5 or 6. Well, count me in, I like it better too.

4 Likes

Well, you would probably like this Flamma as well, it is pretty icy, metallic cold, and I think it is great.

I will get some sound wav’s up sometime no later then this weekend.

3 Likes

I just received my Flamma reverb pedal that @T_dub recommended. So far, I like it, especially the beauty of it.

The reason it’s on a stool instead of on the pedalboard is so that I can play around with the settings without having to bend down continuously.

8 Likes