Unboxing / Build thread

Yeah, menu is probably the wrong way to put it. it is the pre-set selection, and the A-B-C-D for each number. they are changing something, but I just don’t know what. I do like the unit, lots of possibilities, and great sounds so far.
I will be googleing it soon, and am going to figure out how I want to add it to my more permenant home studio once I move this weekend.

More permeant home studio is still a corner in my living room, but this is an apartment for me and my daughter, I won’t have the possibilities of roommates moving in and out at a moments notice.
it is not much more of a studio, but it is going to be a comfort to have a place that is Mine and can’t have anybody messing with stuff, or asking to move it or clean it at any time :+1:

1 Like

I never use presets but the idea is that the number is a bank and A-B-C-D are the 4 channels in this bank. all the first-gen PODs could work with those floor controlers named FB-4, which allow to switch channels into the bank you select on the POD :

but you don’t need it (I don’t have a FB-4) especially for studio use.

3 Likes

Thanks, good to know.

So, what I was finding is, if you select the dials, you get those amps and effects, and if you switch to a preset, it changes to those (where I can see the 4 stage foot switch allowing you to have 4 presets in one bank that you can switch to on the fly), and if you change one of the dials, the amp or effect / cab, it goes back to the settings on the dials (even if you turn one and go right back to the same amp)

This is just sort of what I noticed playing with it, and of course you have all the knobs along the bottom for volume, eq, effect blend / level.
So if this is true, then the presets would be where you could store something you dialed in, and recall it by number and letter?
And if that is true, is that all there really is to it?
That would certainly simplify things.

in fact if you turn the amp dial, it will set a “hidden preset” which is unique to each amp and not necessarily all-noon. it’s considered as a good starting point with this particular amp.

if you want to use only the pots, you can use the “manual” mode and then it acts exactly like an analog amp/preamp.

yeah that’s pretty much it. but really you should read the manual.

1 Like

Thanks I will be sure to

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean I don’t like it. I just didn’t really notice much difference. I just want to compare it to the SanJune one that @T_dub has been raving about. I may end up keeping the Donner, IDK.

3 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that if you don’t slap, and you don’t pick, then most compressors will be really subtle for you.

For fingerstyle you’ll probably get best results with a slow attack setting and the net effect of the compressor is you should hear an overall evening of the ringing/sustain of your notes. It will be subtle and just sound intangibly “better”.

You’ll know what to look for when you get used to compression but it takes a while to figure out what’s going on.

There’s a much bigger difference for picking. With a pick you’ll want a faster attack setting and higher compression setting. And you should notice a lot more difference in the attack vs sustain of your playing.

3 Likes

Yeah, if its anything like the Stingray, you will be sending back the San June :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank god for Amazon Library card.

Have you noticed any loss of your bottom end? With your 5 strings, you are most apt to notice things like that with a compressor, and you might have to search for the ones that have ZERO bottom end loss. If the Donner does not drop the bottom out, that is good. I am curious what the Treble toggle switch does on it, have you tested it yet?

Yeah, the aggressive playing is what will get most notice from a compressor like Howard just posted while I was writing this.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried it in both positions and didn’t notice anything. I’m going to play around with it some more today.

3 Likes

Agree, with this completely, only I prefer a faster attack, but that is just preference, you might do better with a slower. But keep in mind that Optical compressors are the slowest compressors made, so even with a fast attack, it is still not the fastest and won’t clip as hard as the other types.

2 Likes

Hmmmm I was under the impression (from some of the past comments) that optical compressors are the best :thinking:

2 Likes

Slow does not mean bad. He’s talking about the attack response (how much of the attack gets through before limiting/compressing). It’s simply a different curve for optical vs standard circuits.

3 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, slowest does not mean worst.
I personally like them as good as any if not the best.
Being slow, they can have a more organic compression and be very transparent.
So don’t take SLOW to mean BAD, it just happens slower, and feels more natural, and good ones, set right make it so you get all the desired results from a compressor with none of the negative traits they can have.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed anything unusual about it, but I don’t have the most acute hearing in the world either. How about you @T_dub?

1 Like

1 - no noise, no hiss, I have not had any noise introduced by this pedal.
2 - Artifacting, only in the Modulating, a little in the spring when you play aggressively, but nothing major at all. I don’t use the Modulation and I use the spring, but I use the reverb as a very slight highlight to the end of the chain, I don’t use it really heavily, so I don’t get any of what is there with it cranked way up on Spring.
So, it is pretty much a NO except on the one type and with it cranked way up in the other type

1 Like

Have you had any other problems with that pedal? you said it froze up on you one time, is that right?

2 Likes

No… that seems to have been an anomaly. I haven’t had any issues since. The Flamma is a keeper :+1:

2 Likes

Well, I played around with the Donner today and got it to a satisfactory state (I think). It seems to be doing it’s job, and quite frankly for the price of $35 it’s adequate for my needs.
The San June looks like it has lots more bells and whistles (and twice the price) and is probably very good, but I cancelled my order for it on Amazon. I’ll just stick with my no frills Donner compressor for now.

4 Likes

As long as you like it, thats what counts

4 Likes