Update on the bass I'm building

I haven’t taken a picture yet of my progress but I wanted to let everyone know what I decided on the tuners. I decided to use the 11/16" tuners that I had bought separately and expand the peg holes. That went reasonably well and the pegs fit great but the damn screws are too small LOL. One tuner is in place and I’ll put the 2nd on tomorrow, God willing and a good screwdriver. The pickguard and pickups are due in tomorrow so I’ll be able to get the electronics working. My black DR strings came in today but the other 2 tuners I had to order from MGD won’t be in until Tuesday. I’m hoping by next weekend the bass will be ready for use.

6 Likes

If I can make any recommendations, it’s predrill the holes. Never put a screw into raw wood, especially dense hardwood like maple.

6 Likes

That’s what I’ve been doing, and the bit is just a hair smaller than the screws but I’m still having an issue with getting them all the way tightened.

3 Likes

And mark the bit so you don’t go through!

5 Likes

Part of the issue is the size of the screw head. The micro screwdriver still wants to strip it.

3 Likes

Did that too. I had seen that suggestion in a YouTube video

3 Likes

These are called pilot holes.
Always a good idea.

1 Like

Been there done that.
Fortunately not on a musical instrument project.

The few times this has happened to me it was because I was in too much of a rush to mark the drill bit.
Only takes a minute or so to do but can save hours in repairing/replacing a piece.

This advice is right up there with the old saying ‘Measure twice cut once’ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sounds like you are not using the right tool for the job.
Not sure what you mean by a micro screwdriver but it sounds too small for the job.
When you said micro screwdriver I pictured a jewelers screwdriver :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In a sense yes it’s a jeweler’s screwdriver. The screw heads r too small for a standard.

1 Like

OK here’s the latest…I got the pickguard, pickups, volume and tone knobs and the jack installed but I forgot the pickguard screws at home so I taped the pickguard down…Same with the bridge. I had the bridge with me but forgot the screws at home. I also got the 2nd tuner installed.

5 Likes

Is that fretboard supposed to be multi-toned?
It looks super cool, but, is it dry and in need of oil or is it the way it is?

2 Likes

That’s the way it is, although it could use some oiling.

2 Likes

That is really cool!
I haven’t seen anything like that before, very unique.

1 Like

I was actually shocked at how good it looked and how smooth all of it was.

2 Likes

The tuners will be here Tuesday

7 Likes

3 Likes

Well the good notes are ready to go!

5 Likes

Except I discovered a problem when I went to test it on an amp…no sound. When I opened the pickguard, I noticed the red wire going to the pickups was frayed. I’m guessing that happened when I put the screws for the pickups into the body.

2 Likes

Wire is replaceable for sure!
You will get there.

2 Likes