Upgrade bass or amp first?

Sounds to me like you have a playable bass and an amp that works for your apartment situation. But you are looking to change your tone?

Well how about something like this?

4 Likes

I have an old 150w 15" cab, used on the test bench. I thought a bit much for a practice amp??? So I thought as well and bought a wee 60w 12" practice amp. Great amp no frills just bare bones like the 150w 15" (I disconnected the 7 band EQ).
So @juli0r I’ve been reading you going through the pro’s and con’s and trying hard not be in a rush to make a decision.
So I went through and plugged a bass into the 150w, with the volume at zero (John Cage would be proud :rofl: ) I then slowly rolled up the volume, Fek it was good all the way up. 1-5 2 was perfect good sound clear not loud enough for Shirley to hear in her bath one room away. Yes and I did put it up to 9, then when things started of the shelves with me doing the cursed BJ riff, I then turned it down and yes Shirley did hear it something about it causing waves in her bath :slight_smile: .
So it’s a bit like having raw rock power at your fingertips and YOUR in control.
I think the wee practice amp might just start to gather dust.
I had great fun, I felt Bad Ass even though I’m still crap. @PamPurrs I’m still waiting for my dearest to say those words. Bad Ass that is not crap :rofl:
@Mac just a thought :rofl: :guitar:
@T_dub want to buy a wee practice amp shipping $500 :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

@Korrigan
Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly I don’t think that’s the solution. An amp that only produces sh*t sound will also do so with effects in front of it :wink:
It just doesn’t have the “low vibrations bass” feeling Josh is talking about in the amp video and I doubt very much that the effect pedal will change that.

@Jamietashi
Yes, that’s what I thought. As said: Rumble 60 would probably be more than enough for my apartment. I don’t argue with that, but reading through the other thread when someone was thinking about upgrading from 25 to 60 - It’s overkill as a practice amp, but if I want to jam it’s the relatively safe choice, I think.

Still not sure what the point of your story was - a bit confused about that. Is it:
a) Go for it - You’ll feel like Thor once you turn it up wuahahahaha
b) Are you sure you want that kind of power in your apartment?

4 Likes

Point being that at low volume it can be a great practice amp. And for gigging you have the power. I’m saying 100w is a great choice :slight_smile: @juli0r

3 Likes

Oh well Rimmers will be as much use as me telling you to be wary of the Drop Bears. :wink:

2 Likes

Well - they can be quite dangerous I’ve heard.

1 Like

Another way to think about it is what size loudspeaker driver is an upgrade to your tone. Do you want a 10” or a 12”. The power that comes with it as far as the apartment is concerned can always be turned down.

2 Likes

And now for some reason I have ‘Beds are Burning ringing’ in my ears. At least the bass lines suits my ability. :rofl:

Nah, I will take the big one for $1000 shipping please :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::joy:

1 Like

As much as I love my B1x Four, I disagree with it being the fix here. I hated the tone from my first bass, and even with my zoom I still struggle to get good tones from it. Putting my good basseses into the zoom makes for cool sounds. My crap bass with crap pickups still sounds like crap.

4 Likes

It would be a good addition, but not a solution I agree. But if the choice was between Rumble 100 and Rumble 40. Then if the difference between the two is around $80, then maybe get the Rumble 40 with the B1-Four instead of the Rumble 100.

Unless you have a current NEED for the 100 power.

1 Like

Going from an 8" speaker to a 12" speaker(as in the rumble 100) will dramatically change the sound you hear. I’d do the amp upgrade first simply because you will get the most bang for the buck that way. Who knows, you may discover that your bass sounds better than you think once you put it through a quality amp.

4 Likes

@T_dub I know I could probably still get a better deal than that, but when I compare Thomann prices it’s not even $80. It’s 299€ vs. 269€ and I’m fairly sure that I would bite myself in the ass at a later date for “saving” 30€.

@Gorch Yes, I think so too. As already mentioned - it sounded better on the amp in the shop.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have pointed out that the Zoom B1 Four has a headphone jack. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

100% agree. I was speaking hypothetically with no real knowledge of the price difference, as I have never really shopped Fender Amps. Heck I have not really seriously shopped “NEW” amps beyond the TC Electronics line with the Tone Print feature. Had I gone new, I am fairly certain I would have ended up with the BG250 2x8 combo amp, or the BH250 head. I really like that 2x8 combo, or the 1x10 or 1x12, but I like the 2x8 best I think.

Now I am not trying to sway you off Rumbles at all, I am just illustrating a point that Idk new fender prices beyond the $400 40w Rumble with the multi effects built in that is WiFi.

Yes, get the 100 and use a DAW as your effects processor (if the one you use can)

1 Like

I knew what you meant, but I am pretty sure @juli0r wants an actual amp, with headphone jack prior to getting a B1-four. But I realized you were saying to have your Practice Amp a headphone set up.

I will admit that I have amps a plenty, 250w GK with a 4x10 Cab. SWR Working Man 15 160w 1x15 with a 4x10 (the same one) pushing it to 200w when combined, and a bad ass little Orange Crush 20b, 20w 1x8 practice amp, BUT, I use the Zoom B1-Four with headphones 24 out of 25 times. BUT. BUT, I would not have gotten the zoom before a decent amp either. It is flawed logic, I admit, but it is what it it.

However, I recently started chaining the B1-four with effects pedals I have been testing, and going into the OC 20b, to headphones.

AND…
I have started a pedalboard, with my Zoom. I’d chain (for the moment, nothing is set in stone, that ends with a Zoom U-22 with headphone jack to listen out of, or the BDI-21 to the OC 20b, or the U-22 to the Ipad to the headphones.

Lots of options. @juli0r will be there soon, but first thing first.
Rumble 100.

Can you find a good deal on a used one?

2 Likes

@Korrigan - Oh okay, yeah that would have made some difference, but @T_dub is absolutely right. I want an actual amp, but still that pedal looks sweet as an addition for a later date so thanks for the info anyway.

@T_dub
So my DAI order is cancelled and I found a used Rumble 100 for 200€ - Which I would take immediately but it’s self pickup and not having a car means I can’t really get it.
Still thinking about organizing someone who could drive.

3 Likes

@juli0r Fingers crossed :oncoming_bus: :oncoming_taxi: :red_car:

1 Like

Thanks, but that plan is dismissed again…
It’s not really feasable. I can’t ask anyone to spend their whole day in a car with me and am not even sure I would do it myself if I had one.
Plus with the gas money it’s not even that good a deal anymore. Prices are low but driving ~800km - no no no…

Shame. Would have been awesome.

3 Likes

I’m sure another one will turn up mate. Keep the faith

2 Likes