Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Hipshot’s are great, I use them on most all my upgrades.
They also allow you to change the string spacing which can be nice.

5 Likes

I have a Gotoh bridge on one of my P Basses and a Hipshot on another one. Both are great bridges and will install without having to drill new holes.

4 Likes

Thanks, @joeike, @Barney, @John_E! I’ll check those out. :+1:t3:

What do you like for tuners, Hipshots?

3 Likes

Pretty much my go to, however, Gotoh is awesome as well.
I tend to stick to either of those.

5 Likes

I have Hipshot Kickass bridges on some and a Gotoh on one bass, I like them both so good choices

6 Likes

Yes it is, a well crafted bass

4 Likes

For tuners I really like the Hipshot Ultralite’s. That said, I have Gotoh Resolite’s on one bass and they are very good as well.

5 Likes

Hipshot USA UltraLites are fantastic.

5 Likes

Graphtech Ratio tuners are also worth a look.

Ratio - Machine Heads for Guitar, Bass and Ukulele | Graph Tech Guitar Labs

5 Likes

Because comfort is also important… :joy:

5 Likes

GraphTechs are interesting. But tuning other quality tuners doesn’t take much effort or time, so GraphTechs seem like a solution in search of a problem, IMHO.

4 Likes

If you do a lot of drop tuning they make sense, one turn per key to change a full tone. I think they are more a niche thing

5 Likes

I agree.

3 Likes

Irrespective of their unique selling point, their build quality is right up there with their competitors, probably somewhere between Gotoh and Hipshot, but closer to Hipshot.

I personally like their approach but understand how others might be apathetic to it.

5 Likes

That’s a fine looking bass @Pablo !!! Surf and Seafoam Greens always look great!

4 Likes

Thanks, @cheeze_pizza! I agree!

4 Likes

I ended up going with this Gotoh bridge, @Barney.

At just under $48 total it seemed like a no brainer.

7 Likes

Hipshot Bridges really went up in price the past couple years. In 2021 they were in the $50 range. Same with Fender HiMass.

4 Likes

I did upgrade my new Orange bass. Two upgrades actually; I took a green 3M pad and took off a bit of gloss on the back of the neck, and I put on a set of DR Pure Blues 40:100 strings. I was adjusting the intonation and heard a couple of tings from the strings as I tightened them, and they were very rough. So I simply put on new ones, and gosh it sounds so much better

5 Likes

So, you are saying the first set of Pure Blues was faulty?? Disconcerting if true… I like those strings, and 40-100 is a perfect gauge for me.

4 Likes