Upright Bass Fans? Players? Let's hang

Congratulations! That’s so awesome! I’ve always wanted one but I just don’t have the room.

1 Like

I have the room, but if I get one I’ll need a room, and a house and probably a wife. Sneaking in bases is s easy enough. Stand up basses don’t exactly blend well enough for the wife to not have something to say.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Thanks for the input @Gio and @howard

I made some research and got the SM57 thinking that it wouldn’t be money wasted after going through a few other forums.

For tonight’s rehearsal I had this makeshift stand

Gotta listen to the recordings. If it’s good enough I’ll try to upgrade to this

@RuknRole It’s a very spacious instrument but it pays up! I suggest you to rent it for a week if you can. It was a hustle to get it to the studio for sure!

3 Likes

I always think of this about uprights:

He’s seen playing an upright on its side :joy: but he was a huge man

1 Like
1 Like

Why o why o why?

1 Like

Results are in! I am happy :smiley:

4 Likes

Sounds great!

1 Like

Sounding good!

Why are so many videos and pictures on the interwebs backwards?
I don’t understand why this must be.

Ah darn! It’s because I recorded with the selfie camera on my phone. I could’ve mirrored it back so easily but I was so worried about sync and the mix.

Thanks for reminding!

Got it right this time!

2 Likes

Very cool!
Great mic set up on that thing.
I’ve used very expensive and fancy mics trying to get a good live sound at big theaters, and it never worked.
Last little run of shows I did the sound engineer grabbed an SM58, wrapped it in a bar towel and shoved it under the tailpiece.
Best mic-ed upright sound I’ve had live.
BUT! I do like to send him the pickup as well! It keeps the low end in there, while the directional mics pick up the growl and top end.
But great experiment, and great results…

And, @Koldunya - I just had to throw my own hat into the ring of the bassists who just play it like a guitar… dang. I thought I had something original there for a second…
(me on tour with Brothers Comatose from a handful of years ago)

5 Likes

Ha, that’s fantastic!

I’m trying other methods to stick the mic in…

I’m not particularly happy with this one.

1 Like

Love the variations and the attention to it all.
Keep us posted!
If you find the ultimate dynamic mic solution, I want to know!!

4 Likes

I’ll or die trying… :sweat_smile:

Meanwhile there’s this buzz that is killing me.

The previous owner said that he changed the strings himself last time and basically the bass was never set after that. I have found a piece of dried out leather on the bridge under the G string right at the notch and without it the buzz just gets worse.

So I put another one

I’m trying to get a hold of a luthier but not easy in this period…

Anything I can do to make it better?

2 Likes

Oh dang.
The buzzing in these things can be very hard to fix or find.

I found that a tiny piece of paper under the string at the nut helped me alleviate some buzz - but that was on an E string.
Maybe it could work for you?

Good luck!
The brilliant luthier I went to moved to France… and I’m in California.

1 Like

Hi. I just rented a half size upright kind of on a whim. I have always been curious about how they work. Coming from electric and a rank beginner at that, I have trouble following the beginner Double Bass lessons because I don’t know what they mean by “first,” “half,” “second” positions. I have looked online but can’t find an explanation or picture. Help???

Ah. This is the method used for teaching these types of stringed instruments. The book you want is Smandl. The “positions” actually work on electric bass too.
Put your index finger on C on the D string (3 rd fret). That’s first position.
Move left one fret (that’s half position). Move up a fret from first position (that’s 2nd position, Etc etc.

2 Likes