Video editor and multicam

@John_E Davinci Resolve is exactly what I needed to replace that $20.99 per month extortion from Adobe for Premier Pro. I really like Pr, but I don’t like that monthly “rental” fee.
After a few days of playing (and learning) resolve, I have concluded that it can do everything Pr does, and in some areas even better.
I just cancelled my Premier Pro plan with Adobe. I am now a Resolve gal.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs You are welcome! I just got through the crash course video you reco’ed and am happy I did! I don’t need to get too fancy but it did address everything I was looking at wanting to do, and it is very straightforward for a novice like me.

PS I despise Adobe anything for the pure reason that a monthly subscription is super greedy at those prices. Not offering something for novices who do occasional things is really not a smart marketing plan, doesn’t hook anyone in at the early stages.

3 Likes

I agree, I have been a Photoshop and Illustrator user since way back in 1988 when you could just buy the software and later decide if you want to purchase the upgrade. They are both industry standards and I have been unable to find anything that comes close.
Unfortunately, they have now switched over to the monthly plan on both those apps so I have no choice. Sara and I need PS and AE for our photography and design work so we just keep paying the fee.
I’m just glad to be able to peel $21.99 off our monthly charges.

1 Like

for some reason, DaVinci Resolve doesn’t work on my computer. I tried installing it two times and it crashes. also I tried HitFilm but it’s not intuitive at all to me.

I really understand how beginers can feel lost with Reaper or another pro-level DAW : I feel exactly the same with video editing softwares.

3 Likes

Did you try V16? I was unsuccessful at V17, wiped it and installed V16 then it was fine, then upgraded to V17 and it was fine. V17 is beta btw.

It does take some serious processing power, i5 chips are a no-no, etc.

4 Likes

thanks @John_E , I will try V16 ! I have an i7 with 24gb RAM and an SSD, I guess it should work OK …

2 Likes

V17 does do some wonky things BTW. As I go through the training videos, some things don’t seem to work. I close and reopen then it works fine. I moved to watching the training on my iPad vs. streaming to my PC and that seems to help too, close other things on your PC to help. I have an i9 jacked up for this very purpose.

1 Like

I’m running V17.1 on mine and it seems to be working fine. I have been taking all kinds of crash (pardon the pun) courses to get up to speed before my Premier Pro plan expires on April 5.

1 Like

V16 doesn’t work for me neither :frowning:

1 Like

it only seems to have issues if i am trying to do too many other things at once, but is humming along rather well now.

I do really like it and it does way more than i will ever need.
All i really need is to learn one program and how to do what I want and I am good.
I have enough other rabbit holes to wander down aimlessly for hours vs. fine tuning my video production skills to the nth degree.

2 Likes

Understood. Video production and post production is a passion of mine, so I enjoy spending time in the video rabbit hole :smile_cat:

1 Like

Sorry for bumping this, but I came across your feedback and wanted to ask.
I have a video (converted with AVS4YOU) where the last 30 second of sound were just… lost? Unfortunately, original was overwritten and now I stuck with this “cut” edition. AVS doesn’t work with these last 30 seconds for some unknown reason, but when I’m playing the file via VLC or Media Player - sound is here. When it comes to editing - audio just cuts of at the last seconds.

I did my research and it seems to me that that’s a common problem with AVS. Still, I hope that there’s a chance to save this corrupted file. Have you tried anything like this before?
Thanks.

2 Likes

I have not come across this problem, so I can’t help you with a solution. Have you tried playing it through a DAW such as Reaper?

2 Likes

This might be a bit off-topic, but I’m looking for a video editor (for Mac). I’m a beginner, so I don’t think I need something specific. Could you guys recommend any soft?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @zhan.
Are you planning to use green screen and chromakeying? If not, there are quite a few very basic ones available. If multicam is important, than you need to go up the ladder a bit.
I’m on a PC but I do know that Movavi (very basic and quite inexpensive) has a Mac version. I’ve used it a bit and it’s quite nice, but I don’t believe it can handle multicam, and it’s chromakey function is very weak.
I’ve also used Premier Pro by Adobe, which also has a Mac version. Unfortunately, you have to do the monthly subscription thing with Adobe, which I hate. It can handle multicam quite nicely, and does a mediocre job of chromakeying.
I now use Davinci Resolve, which is top of the line IMO. It does a brilliant job of chromakeying and multicam. There’s a free version you can use that’s adequate for most people’s uses, but the $300 (one time) upgrade to the studio version is well worth the investment.
I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Pam, sorry for not getting back earlier to you! I was able to figure this out. I converted this again - quite ironically, but using another program from Movavi team you’ve mentioned - and got my laggy seconds back.
Lesson learned the hard way. Never - ever! - try to convert/edit something without at least two backup files or a cloud store.

Zhan, let me add my two cents as well. I’m just an amateur comparing to Pam, and I must agree that even though Movavi lack of some options other software has (like DaVinci) - it’s was quite easy to learn. Plus, the bundle is not that pricey.
This or either OpenShot (which is free, but processing is not that quick at least from my experience) might be a good place to start if you don’t have any specific requirements. Here’s a list where both are mentioned + some other options - all don’t leave a watermark on the final result which is a big plus. I can tell only from my experience, but hope this helps.

3 Likes

Hey there! Totally get you with VideoPad – it’s got that simple charm. :smile: But if you’re ready to level up, I’d suggest checking out some alternatives. Your wishlist sounds awesome!

1 Like